PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Update as promised

Dakster
05-03-2008, 17:12
I was still having oil leak issues (since March 1, 2008). I just got the truck back. It seems my rear main seal had worked its way loose or was not put in correctly at the factory. It was canted out at the bottom. The tech had to use the seal puller to first push the seal in before he could remove it.

Funny thing is that GM Tech Support (I can't remember what the service mgr. called his GM hotline) didn't have a record of any rear mains leaking and actually told them to remove the turbo to check for leaks. He looked at the turbo and everything was dry as a bone. The tech suggested pulling the tranny (which he did) and viola! He found the leak.

Dealer has another one with the same leak and he is supposed to let me know if it is the rear main as well. If it is, looks like this is going to be a major issue with rear main seals. (Dealer actually has 4 others that will most likely be coming back as they couldn't find the leak) They are NOT a high volume diesel truck dealer. They only have one diesel tech and he works on gassers most of the time.

A word of caution for the people here that run BioDiesel, LSD, or dyed diesel. EVERYTIME they work on the truck for almost ANY reason, they are pulling a fuel sample per GM. The tech has to call in / log the fuel (density? can't remember what he was exactly measuring). I know I was fine at 37. I determines how wel the fuel burns and whether the fuel is contaminated or not....

Anyways, hopefully this is it for oil leaks.

Duramaster
05-04-2008, 09:59
Hey DAK! Long time. I haven't heard of the fuel sample issue?? I did ask a few questions about your regeneration issue but I don't want to HI-JACK this thread. Is the oil leak fixed now? How did the tech remove the turbocharger? Did he leave the cab on the frame or did he/ she remove the cab entirely? I've had to replace one injection pump on the new style trucks and other than a few software issues we have no problems. A few people complain about mileage, but then others get really good mileage!

Dakster
05-05-2008, 17:59
Duramaster:

Yeah.. It has been along time. Don't worry about hijacking ths thread. I don't mind discussing off my thread topic problems.

The tech ended up not removing the turbo charger. He gambled it wasn't the turbo and he was right. The banjo bolts were dry as a bone. It was just the rear main leaking. So far I have only driven about 50 miles and it doesn't appear to be leaking, although the rear seal on the back of the transfer case is wet again. I did check yesterday afternoon to make sure.

They did advise they would have to pull the body off the frame to remove the turbo.

No offense to anyone, but 40 days out of service is a long time to fix an oil leak and to not address the regen or change the u-joint is killing me. The dealership and tech have been great and a lot of the delay was not their fault. (GM sent the wrong seal several times) The dealer (which was not the selling dealer) did provide me with a rental and upgraded the rental to a truck - so at least I could continue working on my house. Kudos to them for that!

It's kind of interesting that you don't have to pull a fuel sample and these guys pull it first thing in the shop and blame GM that they have to. They test the fuels specific gravity. (couldn't think of that the other day) There is so much "crap" fuel going around the first thing they suspect is bad fuel.

Have you pulled an EGR on one of these trucks? The tech had a rough running motor and had to clean the EGR and passage way out with a spoon... YUCK! He seems to think GM is engineering these motors to break. He has been around diesels for a long time and he says the old fuel was like new motor oil, oily/slick (and nasty smelling). The new fuel is like water... No lubrication.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of rear main seals or if this was a fluke? The dealer has several other oil leak trucks coming in - they are going to let me know if the rear main was the same as mine or not....

cowboywildbill
05-14-2008, 11:52
You don't think maybe they have one those Ford guy's working part time at the Duramax engine plant do you? "Just kidding" I hope it was just a fluke. Good luck.

Dakster
05-14-2008, 17:32
No, I know they didn't have any Ford guys working at the plant. I actually got the truck back and it still runs. ;)

Bad part is that the dealer can't figure out the check engine light that comes on after a regen. It just did that again. 40 Days out of service and it still needs work for one of the original issues.

I still like driving a diesel truck and the utilitiy of a long bed, crew cab - BUT I need to be able to trust it. I trust my wife's VW to start and drive each time. I need to be able to have the same feeling with the truck. I am losing/lost that feeling as of late.

Yes, I've brought them the TSB about regen too often and they know about it. I keep getting an excuse and I "we rest the computer". I also state that I can reset a damn computer, I need you to FIX IT from happening again. If a circuit breaker blows and you replace it and it blows again, the problem was NOT the circuit breaker... (Especially if it blows a fourth time)

Off my rant...

cowboywildbill
05-17-2008, 20:10
I agree, Maybe the dealer needs to get a factory rep out to look at the truck. You paid a lot of money and it should be 100% for you. Stay on the dealers case. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Dakster
05-20-2008, 18:24
Welp. I filed a BBB complaint and GM's response was that they replaced the rear crankshaft seal, u-joint (which they didn't replace), and everything is fine. I asked for a final repair attempt as I am required to do before letting an arbitrator take a look at it.

There is tranny fluid and oil still leaking. Judging from the posts here (and elsewhere) the leak is hard to find and hard to fix. So I either deal with leaking fluids or I try to get the truck replaced. Fortunately, Lemon Laws are fairly straightforward and I have already given them more than the allowable time. (I could have filed a complaint at 15 days out of service, I waited until 40)

I don't really like the LL way as you still lose money. I have a PAID for truck with 6,800 miles on it and I will have to PAY probably 4-5k to get the same truck new. I know that I couldn't "trade" into a new for 4k, but I shouldn't have to lose $$ to get back into what I was supposed to have the first time. However, I won't tolerate a new vehicle with this issue any longer. I need a truck to finish fixing my house and when they take 36 days to NOT fix it, it really hurts. Thankfully the second attempt only took 4 days to NOT fix it and I got a truck as a loaner. Again, I credit the TECHS for trying and the dealership has definetly provided good customer service to the best of their ability. GM is staking the deck against them. The first time sending 4 bad/incorrect seals didn't help either.

I'll keep you guys/gals posted...

maverick_935
05-13-2010, 04:17
After telling me it was the lower pan seal leaking they are now pulling the tranny/transfer case to get to the rear main for the oilk leak that won't go away. Costing a fair bit of money but it is making a mess of my driveway. Are we sure there is no issue with the rear main seal? I have 185,000kms.