PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Place Owners Sell-out

OC_DMAX
05-01-2008, 18:29
I just noticed the individuals who started/ran the Diesel Place forum have sold out a couple of days ago to the same corporate firm that purchased the Ford "Diesel Stop" website. Given the fact that the Diesel Stop forum turned into an "advertising nightmare", I suspect the same is in the future for the other Duramax website. Interesting,,,,,

More Power
05-01-2008, 21:47
If my guess is correct, creating a conglomerate of BB forums is all about consolidating ad campaigns and the leverage that might create. It's all about the ads...

Autoforums has asked me three times in the past year if this site was for sale - as recently as 4/28/08. In addition, the folks at the Place have asked twice if this site was for sale - as recently as a month or two ago.

The world is changing.... but we have no plans to sell TDP...

It's all about commitment - and enthusiasm for these trucks and the folks who own them - not about ad sales... ;)

Jim

ronniejoe
05-02-2008, 10:13
Thanks, Jim!

More Power
05-04-2008, 11:30
I just noticed the individuals who started/ran the Diesel Place forum have sold out a couple of days ago to the same corporate firm that purchased the Ford "Diesel Stop" website. Given the fact that the Diesel Stop forum turned into an "advertising nightmare", I suspect the same is in the future for the other Duramax website. Interesting,,,,,

Does it matter whether the board is owned and operated by people who own these trucks - or not?

Jim

Willcoc
05-05-2008, 09:43
"Does it matter whether the board is owned and operated by people who own these trucks - or not?" YES. Keep up the good work with this wonderful forum.

OC_DMAX
05-05-2008, 18:10
My preference is that forums of this nature be owned/operated by an individual(s) who are directly involved in the area of interest that the forum is centered around. A compromise from this position would be a very small company that develops products for the area of interest (this works well for a Personnel Watercraft Forum that I participate in).

Websites that exist to benefit a corporation that has no direct interest/participation forums area of specialty does not seem like an attractive formula (i.e I will not participate). Over time, I suspect that users will drift away and go to other websites that spring up (and are run by individuals that actually own the product). Time will tell in this case. From a business perspective, if they can generate more ad revenue than what the forum cost to purchase, then independently if it fails eventually, they are actually ahead.

Just my 2 cents worth,,,

Showgood1
05-05-2008, 20:43
With small outfits the passion comes first then hopefully the money follows. With corporate money comes first last middle etc. things get lost.

Just what was that PWC site?

OC_DMAX
05-06-2008, 05:47
Showgood1,

I believe your first two sentences above summarize the situation accurately.

For SeaDoo owners:

http://www.sea-doo.net/

The forum is under Message Boards.

Dakster
05-13-2008, 05:38
More Power - Please, Please, Please Do NOT sell the site to advertisers. I am a long time member of The Diesel Stop and I don't go anymore b/c of the new site...

I know it would be hard to resist, if someone offered several million dollars to sell. Just let us know where you new site is so we can all go there instead!

More Power
05-13-2008, 09:30
"Several Million Dollars" you say.... :eek:

As mentioned before, we have no plans to sell.

Jim