PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel in oil

First
04-29-2008, 14:42
Bad, bad news. Looks like I have the same problem with my '02 Duramax as Birdmax10 had. I have a crankcase full of fuel and the dealer cannot figure out why. Maverick, you were a tremendous help to me last week with the fuel filter woes, and it looks like you helped Birdmax10 with the same problem I have now. So do you recommend I qoute the Technical Bulletin number to the dealer. They too, said my truck is obviously not under warranty any longer. I'm worried, because it sounds like I found a dealer that hasn't experienced this problem before.

First

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2008, 15:28
Sorry to hear it. Better now than in a year, though (injector warranty expires). If your dealer doesn't have a clue, find another dealer. If you are stuck with the one you are at now, hit them with the TSB. Ask them, if they don't know what is causing it, then how did they eliminate the injectors as the cause?

The injectors aren't always the cause, but on LB7's, it's more likely than not. If the injectors haven't been replace in the last 3 years, I'd bet money on it.

First
04-29-2008, 15:39
Thanks. The TSB number is 04039A, right? Is there somewhere I can actually find this bulletin and print it out? It may be helpful to the Service Manager.

First

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2008, 15:48
They only need the number. They can pull it up and print it themselves. If the S/M can't figure that out, don't walk away...RUN!!

Yes, there are sources to view and print the bulletin (it was posted on this forum some time ago). If you are the original owner, you should have received a customer letter with information on the issue. I think you can get it if you register (free) at www.mygmlink.com. Otherwise, you'll need to search the forums and the www, or get a subscription at www.alldatadiy.com. I don't think all that is necessary, though. The bulletin states, in part, that if there is fuel in the oil, the injectors are the most likely suspect. When your dealer gets their copy, it should be pretty simple from there (assuming they know how to read). I can't believe there are still dealers out there who are playing dumb with this issue. They should all be very familiar with it.

First
04-29-2008, 15:50
Thanks man. I'll let them know first thing in the morning.

First

jbplock
04-29-2008, 16:25
First,

Here's some more info on the injector warranty extension ...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lb7injectorwarranty.htm

Duramaster
04-29-2008, 19:00
If I may add, there should be no cost to the customer when replacing the injectors under the 04039B special policy. You might also have them pay attention to the injector lines as per 03-06-04-036A. I clean, inspect and replace them at my dealer all the time under WARRANTY! I don't know why some of you have such a hard time getting them covered under warranty especially when the special policy references the bulletin which references the line repair.

First
04-30-2008, 04:32
Thanks Gentlemen,

I'll let you know what the dealer tells me this morning.

First

First
04-30-2008, 14:01
Well, so far so good. The dealer printed out the TSB and found everything you guys said to be legitimate. Although they did say it "appears" as though there will not be any charges, but they're not sure.

While the injectors are out, are there any upgrades that I could install at this time for more performance? Not sure if the dealer would do this, but the timing would be right for any upgrades.

Thanks again,

First

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2008, 16:06
No upgrades the dealer will do under warranty. Unless you are planning on "bombing" the truck, no mods to do in there anyway. Head studs are nice, but expensive and the dealer probably won't even talk about it.

And, what part of "at no charge to customer" did they not understand?

Advice:
Don't talk to the dealer about ANY mods on your truck until after (if at all) you get the injectors replaced. If you give them any notion (true or not) the truck has been mod'd, they'll send you packing.

First
05-01-2008, 04:40
You're right, good suggestion. Thanks again for the help.

First

First
05-18-2008, 18:17
Great news! As the members said all was covered under warranty with the injector problems I encountered. Thanks to all who helped me clue in my local dealer who seemed lost in the beginning.

First