PDA

View Full Version : New t-stats, no seals, should & use old ones?

dieselrealtor
08-21-2004, 12:24
bought some 195s from JK, didn't come with the rubber seals around the lip, should I use the old ones?

Also.... the old ones (190s)had another rubber "jacket" as I will call it, should I use those as well?

what are their purpose?

CareyWeber
08-21-2004, 15:47
Originally posted by diesel realtor:
bought some 195s from JK, didn't come with the rubber seals around the lip, should I use the old ones?

Also.... the old ones (190s)had another rubber "jacket" as I will call it, should I use those as well?

what are their purpose? Most parts stores sell just the seal.

Dieselboy
08-21-2004, 16:30
Napa carries a stock of o-rings, and I have found their part number: 1093 is a factory fit on the RS 330 series as well as a GM 195. Cost is $1.00.

332bill
08-25-2004, 05:47
When I re-installed my thermostats after flushing the cooling system, I left off the rubber sleave around the thermo. It did not fit on very tight and I was worried it may come off and get stuck somewhere in the cooling system. In fact only one of the thermostats had a sleave on it so I was worried that the other had already come off and was stuck somewhere.

Bill

Bruce Ostien
08-25-2004, 10:02
I just did thermostats on my 99 Suburban. I had one with a rubber jacket as well. Got the new thermostats at the dealer and neither had a jacket. I wonder if they arn't trying to get one of the thermostats to open before the other?

Are the GM thermostats the same or as good as the elusive Robert Shaw thermostats?

MTTwister
08-25-2004, 11:07
Some of the pictures I've seen, the jacket slips off and binds up in the Thermostat. Can someone tell us the real purpose of those dang things?