PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought a '99 6.5 Turbo Diesel

DieselDavey
04-23-2008, 17:46
Hello everyone,

Awesome sight with great info.

I've been looking at a 1999 LS Suburban Turbo Diesel 6.5...

I've looked at it twice, exhaustive research. Talked to engineers and mechanics at the GM Proving grounds. They love the vehicle except for the fuel pump problem. One mechanic/ engineer has 500,000 miles on his (6.2).

I called Dave Hammond in Florida... He said no guarantees but that he would not be afraid of it.

The vehicle is very clean. New fuel pump and remote mounted controller with heat sink.

New shocks, batteries, newer tires. The vehicle has been maintained.

Front end good, tires not cupped, shifts good. No leaks (except for a slight weeping of an oil coolant line, normal). No black smoke out the tailpipe. Everything works....

It has 166,700 miles on it. Owner accepted my offer of $6500. The Bank won't finance that amount, and I would have come up with the cash but...

After reading many posts here, and some of the info in the members section, I'm scared to death of cracked blocks, and the fuel pump failing on a vacation trip. Don't think I can afford a new engine.

How can I tell if this engine has the stress cracks from the bolts (for the fuel pump?)... or if it will happen?

I am looking for something that will pull my 32ft 8500LB travel trailer a bit more efficiently than my f150 (the ford gets 5mpg towing)... The engineer at the proving grounds said the turbo diesel will pull the camper, just baby it a bit, don't expect rapid acceleration... but once you're going, its fine.

Any advise on this vehicle? I read so many mixed reviews and some bad nightmares.

I'm completely lost.

Thanks!

Dave

AKMark
04-23-2008, 20:08
That's a pretty decent price for that rig. I would've considered it. My 97 has been good to me, and you don't find many of these beasts with less than 200K anymore. At least all the ones I've seen as of late have almost 300K or more.

TurboDiverArt
04-24-2008, 02:58
I don't think you should be scared to death of cracked blocks. Yes they do happen and the block isn't the strongest it could be. There are many people with 200-300 thousand miles or more on these engines that tow. There has also been much discussion that the cracking is caused by the harmonic balancer. Not to say the blocks weren't weak to begin with but having a bad balancer is just the straw that breaks the engines back. I've got 215K on mine, have had it for 100K of it's life and tow about 5000-miles a year. I've got no troubles and no complaints. If you like the truck I wouldn't be worried about the block cracking. You can do some things to help prevent it. Check the balancer and pulley frequently; I check it at every oil change. Change the oil and fuel filter regularly. Use good fuel and a fuel conditioner. Watch your EGT's and if you tow, put on an intercooler, you can make one for $500. Do these things and just be smart with the truck and you should have a happy life. I think if you constantly beat on the truck all the time bad things will eventually happen but that happens with most vehicles. With fuel prices I only stand on it when I need to or when I’m towing. You are reading about some failures but the vast majority of 6.5 owners are trouble free.

Art.

DieselDavey
04-25-2008, 13:28
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys,

I still think about the vehicle, and its still available. I'll reconsider, although I saw 3 Burbs on the side of the expressway today! :)

Dave

mdv
04-26-2008, 05:43
I would not hesitate. I have had mine for ten years. I have plowed with it and towed with it since new. The motor has never let me down and runs strong. It currently has 155000 miles and still has lots of life. You are better off looking at tires/ brakes/radiator those sorts of things. Oh ya smell the dip stick on the transmision for burnt smell. The fluid should be nice and red.
As for those burbs on the side of the road...well ist all about maintenance and preventive maintenance.
If your short on cash, oil changes cost more.
You never have a tune up.

Mitch.

winemaker
04-26-2008, 07:29
3 dead burbans on the side of the highway? Maybe it's an omen.....or maybe you've entered.....the Twilight Zone

Did you happen to notice if these dead trucks had the tell-tale diesel "nostrils" in the front bumper, or were they gassers?

Good luck,
Brett

DieselDavey
04-26-2008, 12:05
Thanks again for your replies,

I'm now a proud owner of an ultra clean Burban!

I've always loved Suburbans, glad I finally have one in the driveway. I'm looking forward to better fuel economy, especially while towing. These vehicles are also much more functional than a pickup truck... from everything to getting groceries to hauling band equipment.

Brett, I'm pretty sure those dead Burbans were gassers.

Hope those were not an omen! I'm still a bit nervous about the thing flying apart, but feel much better with everyones reassurance.

First thing I gotta do is install a brake controller for my camper, and take 'er for a test run!

I'm going to research installing an intercooler, I only tow about 4000 miles a year, ya think its necessary?

Thanks!

Dave

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2008, 12:24
......I'm going to research installing an intercooler, I only tow about 4000 miles a year, ya think its necessary?

Thanks!

Dave

Actually, 4000 towing/RV miles is a lot. Most folks barely tow 400. Many buy an RV, and park it, only to be used once or twice, then sold.

An intercooler is use necessitated. Much depends on how you drive/tow, and what you expect from the vehicle. They're not necessary for most folks. If you find you need to "turn up the power", then it should be part of your quest. In any case, I know of no case where an intercooler caused any negative effects (other than to the wallet and knuckles). You have to weigh the cost vs. benefit, as with anything. If you are towing w/in the vehicle towing capacity, and drive conservatively, you shouldn't need an I/C. Keeping the vehicle healthy with regular service is more important than any mod.

93GMCSierra
04-26-2008, 14:25
though one of the first things you should do is install gauges, exhaust temp, Boost, and if an auto tranny trans fluid temp.
Those will keep you from harming your motor especially while towing.

winemaker
04-26-2008, 15:54
Congrats! The intercooler article a couple months back looks like something I want to do in the future just because I want to! Great looking install. I agree with 93GMC, gauges first. After that, my feeling is that mandrel bent exhaust is the next thing to do. That free-flowing exhaust makes an immediate and noticeable difference. In my case (no fabricating skills/tools) I found it handy to order an exhaust crossover with a bung for the pyrometer, but having towed a similar weight trailer with a 6.5, gauges are essential. Enjoy the BAD RIDE.
Brett

TurboDiverArt
04-27-2008, 05:10
Thanks again for your replies,

I'm now a proud owner of an ultra clean Burban!

I've always loved Suburbans, glad I finally have one in the driveway. I'm looking forward to better fuel economy, especially while towing. These vehicles are also much more functional than a pickup truck... from everything to getting groceries to hauling band equipment.

Brett, I'm pretty sure those dead Burbans were gassers.

Hope those were not an omen! I'm still a bit nervous about the thing flying apart, but feel much better with everyones reassurance.

First thing I gotta do is install a brake controller for my camper, and take 'er for a test run!

I'm going to research installing an intercooler, I only tow about 4000 miles a year, ya think its necessary?

Thanks!

Dave
Get gauges first before towing, you need an EGT and boost gauge. Trans temp gauge is also a major plus when towing, especially around town. When towing your EGT's can go up really fast. Easies way to break something is EGT's or over-boost.

Think of an intercooler as preventative maintenance. With an intercooler I rarely worry about anything when towing. Money well spent.

Art.

DieselDavey
04-27-2008, 18:47
I wanted to thank everyone once again for your replies.

I will definatley look into installing the gauges and intercooler.

Good Dieseling,

Dave

93GMCSierra
04-27-2008, 20:01
along with that intercooler, possibly even before, get mandrel bent 3 1/2 or 4" exhaust, from the turbo back, if your state requires a cat take some advice from others around and gut it. the faster the exhaust gets out the cooler the Exhaust Gas Temp. EGT's the cooler that is the more likely your head will not crack.

rhsub
04-28-2008, 01:28
One other upgrade you should look at is the modified fan clutch that Kennedy sells, my sub will run up to 220'F when you hit a good hill towing a TT, as soon as the fan kicks in it drops right back to normal, unfortunatly that usually at the top of the hill, anyway I will be installing one before I hook on to the TT this year.
Happy motoring
Ron