PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tape

FEF
04-20-2008, 10:57
I've heard it's a good idea to use teflon tape on the head studs/bolts. Has anyone used it on the other pipe threads? Clearly, putting on sensors would be a bad idea though.

Thanks for the help,

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2008, 12:21
Bad idea. It will skew torque values, and offers no locking ability. Nothing wrong with using it on sensors if you are very careful, but it's not recommended. Paste or anaerobic sealer is a better idea, and easier (for sensors). Tape can cause complications during later service/replacement if the mechanic doesn't know it was used. Good head bolts/studs should come with a dry sealer applied. Since they are only installed once, reapplication is not an issue. Adding another sealer/locker on top of this is counterproductive.

Robyn
04-20-2008, 15:53
Teflon tape is great when used as it was designed. NEVER use it around an auto tranny fitting the stuff can find its way into a valve and stop things right quick.

I use stuff like a quick smear of permatex on thread fittings on sensors, the silicone high temp will work there too.

Many of the fittings come with a pre cured dry silicone sealer on the threads when you get them new.

High tack red is ok too for thread sealer.

Antifreeze will get along well with most of these sealers.
Oil and fuel will do fine. The tape has the habit of leaving strings that can find their way into unwanted places.

When used the tape should be held back from the end of the pipe thread about two (2) threads.

Later

Robyn

DeezilDoc
04-21-2008, 05:44
I don't use it, have seen it used on tapered threads and cracked the housings would rather use aviation permatex or the red stuff that dries on threads

FEF
04-21-2008, 07:53
Ya, I've never tried it, but heard of it used on head studs.

I've been using non-hardening permatex on water and oil fittings and bolts. I guess this is a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing.