PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak

afgunn
04-19-2008, 12:33
Since I replaced my failed lift pump in the 93 below, I am noticing a small fuel leak. At first, I thought it was an oil leak (and may have the adaptor leaks as well) but I have been noticing that I smell diesel fuel. Yesterday when parked in a clean level spot I noticed a small puddle of clean diesel fuel - wish I had taken the time to see where it was coming from but it may not have helped. I inspected all around the IP lines the other day and did not see anything wet except it was wet with diesel fuel on the "valley" and esp between the hose line to the water drain valve and the "valley" on the driver's side. I will try a light and mirror in a couple of days when I am off again (12 hour work days do not leave much). I also have failed/rough starts when the truck sits for a day or more.

Now again, I have only noticed this fuel leak since replacing my failed lift pump. I am ignorant as to the fuel line routing from the lift pump, filter, IP and water drain. I have a new fuel filter and should probably replace it first but I am not convinced that will stop the leak - esp. since there is a puddling of fuel between the hose for the water drain valve and the "valley". What say you?!

Thanks in advance!

john8662
04-21-2008, 06:56
Check the water drain and air purge valves on the fuel filter housing. Your model should have the square 80-Series fuel filter setup on it.

Most likely it's a leaking and or split hose in the area of the fuel filter housing on the back of the intake manifold.

This will also explain your hard starting!

afgunn
04-28-2008, 18:10
Found it! Or at least the major leak. It was the hose going to the water drain valve. I put a clamp on the hose going into the bottom of the valve and that has stopped the leak or at least the major leak.

The hard, stumbling starting has been fixed as well!

Thanks for the help!

Robyn
04-28-2008, 18:20
That makes good sense.
The leaky hose will allow air to enter the system and the fuel will drain back to the tank leaving you a large air bubble to crank out.

Robyn