PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of these aftermarket heads? (Pro-Line)

80Sierra
04-18-2008, 00:27
Hey guys!

Its looking and more like I wound up with a $400 set of paper weights after buying a set of heads of a local fella. After dropping them off with a machinist friend of mine, he did some tests and found that most of the valves are not sealing properly due to hammered in valve seats, and that the groove from the fire ring was beyond what he'd reccomend leaving alone.

Anyways, I was shopping online for other options, and figured I'd check ebay to see if there were any AMG heads available there. I didn't find a set of them, but I did find these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-6-5-6-5L-GM-Chevy-Diesel-Cylinder-Heads_W0QQitemZ120247969595QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3361 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sent the seller an email asking for more information, but won't hear from him until tomorrow afternoon.

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of / used these heads before, and if they are any good or not. From the sounds of it, they are a pretty new product, and I have been unable to find any information about them online...

80Sierra
04-18-2008, 07:36
Well, I got a reply email this morning!

He claims that these indeed are NOT the same casting as DSG and other Chinese heads use. They are made in the USA, Tennessee in specific.

He tells me that the heads have a re-designed coolant passage between the valves that virtually eliminates all the cracking, just like the AMG heads, and that they use a far better metallurgy all around. The precups are large diamond shaped cups his claim is that they are not magnetic like the DSG heads are.

The price they have on ebay is about 200 bucks cheaper than what they normally retail the heads for, but they are hoping to get the word out on their new heads, so they are selling them cheap.

Shipping would be just under a 100 bucks per head + a 150 dollar brokerage fee I am pretty much guaranteed to get hit with, which would bring me to around $1000 shipped, which is actually less than what a set of fully assembled DSG heads will set me back if I buy a set locally at about $1200.00 after tax + the cost of the gas to drive there and back (approx 4 hours both ways at 70 mph)

I'm thinking I'll be the guinea pig and let all of you folks know how they are when they arrive!

More Power
04-18-2008, 09:26
For that cost I'd not gamble. You can buy fully dressed AMG heads for less here in the States. I don't know what the brokerage fees/duty might add, but I'd bet Diesel Services would work with you on price to get genuine AM General heads in the ball park.

BTW - I've not head of a North American casting alternative to AM General. Send me the details. I'd like to learn more.... :)

Jim

80Sierra
04-18-2008, 10:40
Follow the link to the ebay auction, you can contact the seller there. The impression I got is that these are a brand new alternative on the market.

Can you get me some details on where I can get a set of AMG heads shipped to me here in Canada for around $1000? I'd happily spend my money on a set for that price! Local price for fully assembled AMG heads is $1200, EACH so they were not an option I was willing go for...

More Power
04-18-2008, 23:47
www.peninsularengine.com (http://www.peninsularengine.com/) (800) 942-0445 quoted me $510 each for dressed AM General heads about 2 months ago.

Jim

80Sierra
04-19-2008, 22:20
Well, the guy I bought the heads from got back to me today, and is offering to refund my money :)

So, now I am just waiting on Peninsular to get back to me before I put money down on these new USA casted heads...