PDA

View Full Version : Foolish question ?

Fredeberle
08-21-2004, 07:20
First let me say I know nothing of engines or any of that stuff but "Thanks to all of you I am learning." :(
Enen did some mods and service myself. :D
I seems that getting cool air into the intake to reduce IAT is important thus all the posts about IC's or water injection, etc.
Would it be possible to divert all the AC output into the air intake somehow ? ( since I really hate that cold air and never use it anyway, just turn it on every month or 2 to make sure it works.)
Then you could turn it off and on as needed for towing and things like that.
Just wondering and thought I would ask the experts.
Thanks for any thoughts on this. smile.gif
Fred

charliepeterson
08-21-2004, 10:45
First of all the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

I've learned one good way to lower intake temps is to open up the exhaust pipe. The next time your under the truck look at the pipe coming off the turbo into the exhaust system. Every truck is like this, some worse than others.

When I opened up my exhaust I dropped 100* on the pyrometer.

HowieE
08-21-2004, 11:13
There may be a couple of problems that will limit this idea. I dought if you could get enough air, cubic feet, through the AC system to supply the engine. You would have to reroute the AC air intake to outside the cabin of the truck or run with the windows open. The resulting head pressures on the AC would most likely cause the engine to run hot or pop the condenser coil from high head pressure. Head pressures in the summer while conditioning the truck can run above 300psi with a 100 degree outside air. Consider the temperature coming out of the turbo at 300 or more those head pressures would be real high. All and all the effert to invent this would be more than the cost of an intercooler, which I would suggest you consider if you are towing.

Fredeberle
08-21-2004, 12:18
Howie E,
I only tow a small TT, only saw 1,000 EGT once, usually 800-900 and tranny temp 170-190, thanks to you folks and the tranny cooler. :D
I just thought of ducting the cold air to the air filter intake somehow and let it suck in some of that cold air along with what it normally draws from outside since I don't use it anyway.
These are the kind of thoughts people who know nothing have. :rolleyes:
Charlie,
Do you mean the turbo downpipe ?
That I have already changed. smile.gif
First time I have ever done any of that kind of stuff and while it took me 3 days for the downpipe,exhaust & crossover it was a great feeling. :D
Fred

Peter J. Bierman
08-22-2004, 06:39
There was an extensive post on this about a year ago, try find it and most off the pro's and con's are discussed there.

Peter

Fredeberle
08-28-2004, 09:15
Thank you Peter,
Found some of those old posts and all that stuff is way too complicated for me. :confused:
Fred

moondoggie
08-30-2004, 10:08
Good Day!

Any heat removed from intake air this way winds up being moved in front of the radiator via the A/C condenser - likely not a good trade-off.

From what I've read here, an intercooler provides high-purchase-price low-operating-cost charge air cooling; mist (water, alcohol) injection provides lower-purchase-cost, higher-operating-intervention charge air cooling. From reading other topics here on the Page, the mist injection works well for short bursts to pull hills, etc., & for all-day pulling if your supply tank is large enough. Intercooling vs mist is simply how much do you want to spend for parts vs how much do you want to fiddle with. Intercooling is basically maintenance-free after the purchase & installation; it would seem like mist might require minor maintenance as time goes on (solenoid valve, pump, etc.) & the hassle (large or small, depending on your proclivities) of replenishing your water supply.

I hope I haven't started another intercooler/mist war - it's been done a few times already in other topics.) ;) Remember, this is from reading only: I have NO practical experience with either system. If you're interested, search the related topics - it's been covered extensively. My point is simply that it doesn't seem practical to do what you're suggesting. If you try it, please let us know how it works, so we may benefit from your experience. :D

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Fredeberle
08-30-2004, 14:42
Good day Moondoggie,
I just thought that since most people run their AC a lot ( I don't ) and it doesn't seem to be a problem with the cooling system that it might be worth thinking about. :rolleyes:
I haven't the slightest idea how one would make it work. :confused:
That's for someone more knowledgeable than me.
Guess I'll just have to treat myself to an IC. :D
Fred

Peter J. Bierman
08-31-2004, 14:28
Most big air to air intercoolers bring the heat in front off the radiator too.
Biggest advantage off these intercoolers is they don't take power to work.
A/C takes power to compress the refrigerant and so you undo what you are trying to do at the same time.
The benefit will depent on the most economical system, you have to generate more power than the A/C consumes to have any benefit.

Peter