PDA

View Full Version : OEM aFe airfilter check engine light on

D_R_C
04-12-2008, 13:16
Anyone with this problem on a LMM.
I have ran a OEM aFe pro7 for 9 months 7K miles and no problems.
I bought 2 so I can switch out about 3500 miles and clean at my leasure.
I changed out last Sunday and Tuesday check eng. came on went to my dealer and code P0101 came up.

The dealer states this is normal after 9-10K miles using this type filter so they suggest going back stock.
He was not happy finding this airfilter but cleared the light and stated it will come back on.
The light came back on after about 75 miles when I removed the cover,I found the tech did NOT install the filter properly.

He did remove the filter and then just laid the filter back in the box not installing it properly it was NOTsealed(letting dirt pass thru) and then just put the lid on.
Of course I`ll get a eng. light with a GM Diesel Tech being this lame:confused:,and at my expense.

Back to my ? has anyone with a aftermarket OEM airfilter on a LMM had this issue.

I re-installed the airfilter properly and hoping it was just a glitch.

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2008, 13:32
Very common with oil/gauze and oil/foam filters. The MAF gets contaminated with oil. Clean it with some electrical contact cleaner. Be careful and don't touch the internals of it. Just the solvent spray/soak should clean it up nicely. Prevent/minimize this in the future by ensuring you aren't over-oiling the filter. Most of them come out of the box over-oiled.

D_R_C
04-12-2008, 15:54
Very common with oil/gauze and oil/foam filters. The MAF gets contaminated with oil. Clean it with some electrical contact cleaner. Be careful and don't touch the internals of it. Just the solvent spray/soak should clean it up nicely. Prevent/minimize this in the future by ensuring you aren't over-oiling the filter. Most of them come out of the box over-oiled.

NO! it was not oil on the MAF sensor P0101 performace/volume problem.
The tech check the air flow volume and found it higher than the computer wants,it was 41-42grams and the computer does not like more than 40.

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2008, 16:09
OK. Your choice. $1 worth of contact cleaner or $350? for a MAF. GM won't pay for the MAF if they know you've used an oil type filter. It could be another problem, but it'll only cost you a couple bucks to eliminate contamination.

The MAF can read high or low when fouled.

D_R_C
04-12-2008, 21:11
OK. Your choice. $1 worth of contact cleaner or $350? for a MAF. GM won't pay for the MAF if they know you've used an oil type filter. It could be another problem, but it'll only cost you a couple bucks to eliminate contamination.

OK!
Thank you

D_R_C
04-13-2008, 02:15

? do you remove the maf to clean it or leave it in the housing :confused:

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2008, 06:22
Remove it. Spray the cleaner into it and let it drain. Don't reinstall it until dry. Don't use high pressure shop air to blow it out. You can use low pressure air, but high pressure shop air can damage the elements and/or force debris into it. Usually, just spray/soak it and let it drain, and it will clean it up fine. If the SES continues after, there may be an airflow issue with the aftermarket filter, but there shouldn't be with an OEM style/shaped filter element. MAF issues are common with aftermarket intake plumbing, but that's another cause/effect. Another thing. If the dealer left the filter "unsealed" (don't see how that's likely, but it could happen), the MAF could be fouled with who-knows-what (bugs, leaves, etc.). In any case, I suggest replacing the filter with an OEM paper element until it is stabilized. After you are certain the problem is no longer present, reinstall the AFE filter and see if it returns. If it does, contact AFE for their explanation.

D_R_C
04-13-2008, 18:26
Another thing. If the dealer left the filter "unsealed" (don't see how that's likely, but it could happen)

Thanks,
The aFe OEM has a I`m calling it a foot that goes on the bottom around a raised area(that keeps the filter sealed @ the bottom),and the top has a raised stub that holds the filter sealed in place @ the top,when the lid is installed. When both are in the proper location the filter stays in place (sealed).
The tech just laid the filter in the box with the foot and stub on the sides,instead top and bottom,nothing to keep the filter sealed in place.
He had re-calibrated the system Tuesday,I was told they have been having issues even with the stock filters.
But not installing the filter properly there was to much air flow the second time when the code came after 75 miles.
Since I cleared the code thursday and installed the filter properly I have drove over 250miles several stop and starts with no code. (Knock on wood)
aFe thinks it was just a quirk causing a code,I hope that is just the case.