PDA

View Full Version : Run it, or replace the head gasket?

FEF
04-09-2008, 13:09
I've got a used engine on the stand. It's compression is very good. Over all, it appears to be a winner.

I'm asking myself if I should replace the head gasket while it's on the stand or just run with it?

I plan to put in the better head studs, one at a time, but... Is this a situation where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or should I replace the head gaskets "just because"?

Thanks for the help,

derekja
04-09-2008, 13:28
run it. Just because that's not what I'd do.

I'd get worried, decide that since it was on a stand it would only be a couple hours to throw new gaskets in and clean everything up. Then I'd find a worn lifter, say, and have to replace those just to feel good about it. Then maybe the ring wear would bug me and all of a sudden I'd be into the bottom end. Hundreds of dollars and many hours later I'd put my shiny new engine in. But I guess I'd have fun on the way.

Run it. Do the rest in 50K or so. Or maybe never.

80Sierra
04-10-2008, 11:25
I am with Derekja... I tend to do stuff like take heads off and open a can of worms doing do.

If it doesn't leak, and you are not planning on turbocharging it, I'd tend to say you should just leave it the way it is, don't even change the head bolts.