PDA

View Full Version : Vssb Calibrator - Trouble Finding

jggiedeman
04-08-2008, 20:59
Hi all,

I'm moving from 245 to 265 tires. I have a few of the old annual article books and the 1999 version had an article on the configurable VSSB. There are units still out there in a few dealerships but the item has been discontinued. How do you get one of these from a dealer if it's on their shelf but discontinued?

Jerry

Bnave95
04-11-2008, 14:58
I also have the 99 Feature Articles. You should be able to cut and add jumper as is set forth in the book once you remove the VSSB from the glove box.
I'm running 235-85-16 and I do gain 1/10 of a mile for every 5 miles.
My RPM is 1980@ 60mph.

More Power
04-11-2008, 15:03
Hi all,

I'm moving from 245 to 265 tires. I have a few of the old annual article books and the 1999 version had an article on the configurable VSSB. There are units still out there in a few dealerships but the item has been discontinued. How do you get one of these from a dealer if it's on their shelf but discontinued?

Jerry

Jerry, We produced an article in 2000 that discussed how to modify the 7-jumper VSSB using an inexpensive Radio Shack 7-position DIP switch. If you have the 1999 article, just use the second set of seven codes to program the 7-jumper VSSB. Piece of cake!

Jim

jggiedeman
04-11-2008, 19:43
Thanks for the info. The books arrived yesterday. Made a wrecking yard run today and picked up a couple of spares. One was close enough that I just needed to move one jumper. Found an article on the web about the same topic so I'm going to install two 6 position dip switches on the second one. i like the idea of having one with dip switches - makes it easier to adjust for gear changes and tire wear.

Jerry

jggiedeman
04-12-2008, 18:03
Change #2. I used the formula and the excel program in the member's area but I came out with a fast speedometer. I went to the tire manufacturer's website and they had the correct revolutions per mile. It was a snap after that.

I wound up using the original vssb. Strange, but the 2 others (both 94's) I came across in the wrecking yards were 14 pin and my OEM was 7 pin. Possibly the 14 pins were used on vehicles with ABS versus RWAL. Just a thought.

Jerry

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2008, 18:29
You must have misinterpreted yours. There should be 14 pins. 14 pins = 7 switches (2 pins per switch, if you install the dips).

Yep. The tire rollout is pretty important when calculating your final drive and pinout.

JohnC
04-13-2008, 11:11
AFAIK, the ones with 14 jumpers are functionally identical to the ones with 7. Just 2 approaches to the same problem.

jggiedeman
04-13-2008, 18:57
I did use a 14 pin vssb. It was the closest on needing to move a wire. When the speedo was too fast I switched to the one that came with the truck. It was a 7 pin vssb. The web has some pretty good instructions also which led me to believe that the 7 pin vssb's only came in the 90-92 p/u's. Doesn't matter because I removed two wires and moved another and viola - it works.

Jerry