PDA

View Full Version : Shock Suggestions

65-f100
04-26-2004, 18:05
Ok guys - looking for some advice here. Here's what I've got - 96 K2500 Suburban. This is a daily driver for my wife and 3 kids. The most it will ever tow will be a small pop-up camper or car. Nothing like some of y'all are hauling. It has 170K+ miles and the factory shocks are GONE. Looking to upgrade - but I'm more concerned with a smooth controlled ride - not looking for anything too stiff.

I searched past posts and saw alot of Bilstein users, but also noted most said it was a very firm ride. Saw the same for the Edelbrocks. Has anyone used the new Monroe Reflex shocks? How about Tokico or KYB? Again - I'm looking for smooth controlled ride.

Thanks for all the input - I've learned a ton from this site already.

Brad

moedog
04-26-2004, 19:03
I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU HEARD BILSTEINS ARE A FIRM RIDE? I BOLTED 4 ON MY 97 1 TON 4WD DUALLY AND IT FLOATS LIKE A 2WD 1/2 TON.I COULDNT BELIEVE THEY SOFT,CONTROLLED RIDE. PULLS MY 5TH WHEEL BETTER AS WELL. DONT BELIEVE I WOULD USE ANY OTHER AND THEY ARE A STRAIGHT FORWARD DESIGN, NO GIMMICKS. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN WEB SITE. KENNEDY WAS OFFERING THEM WITH FREE SHIPPING

barebackjake
04-26-2004, 20:13
bilstiens dont have a hard ride, thats all in valving and springs, i have bilstiens on my 97 g 3500 dually box van and on my 97 f250 4x4 love them never buy anything else

better handling, more responsive, lifetime warranty

Billy V
04-26-2004, 21:08
I have the monroe refles shocks on my nissan frontier PU. it handles MUCH better than stock, like a little sports car. it also hauls my MC much better now, less body roll.

I was going to try a set on my 93 dually, they cost the same amount as the nissan.$160 with a lifetime guarantee.

How much are the bilstiens?

bigmikestud
04-26-2004, 23:48
I installed the Monroe's of which you speak and at $40 skins a piece, well, didn't notice a thing. This was on a '97 2wd 1-ton dually (Chevy) and around 225,000 miles. Heck, the suspension was tight from previous repairs too. As much as I've heard about the Bilstein's I believe I'll try 'em. Oh yeah, I'll bet the FSD/Cooler from "The Diesel Doctor" would make it ride better! HeHeHe!

Spindrift
04-27-2004, 04:10
I have to agree with those on top. My Bilsteins give me a controlled ride. Many people have remarked that it's a smooth ride for a 2500. Stiff, uncomfortable...no way.

Black95TD
04-27-2004, 04:19
Spindrift,

My .02. I have the Bilstein heavy dutys and they are firm/stiff! There were two choices as I recall - Heavy Duty and Comfort. Mine are a couple of years old. Are there still two choices?

Good luck.

Shotuscnc
04-27-2004, 05:44
also looking for comfortable shocks for my 2500 2WD Suburban... only find HD Bilstein listings.. anyone have comments/suggestions

Spindrift
04-27-2004, 06:29
blacky,

You're correct. You can order the Bilsteins as an OEM replacement; in which case they come with the HD valving. You can also order them with what they refer to as "Comfort valving".

When I priced them out, no one was able to beat the price I got at Off Road Warehouse.

At my age it's quite possible that I have more padding where it counts and therefore my HDs don't seem too bad to me. And maybe no one complains about a stiff ride because I still control the radio and I say who comes in the truck and who goes out of the truck!

Spindrift
04-27-2004, 06:39
chris,

Sorry. Meant to address your question in my earlier post. Other shocks for your Burb are the Koni Specials ($$), KYB and Rancho. I'm sure there are others.

ttpost
04-27-2004, 07:28
HEY BIGMIKESTUD, I HEARD THAT THE FSD/COOLER COMBO FROM THE DIESEL DOCTOR MAKES YOUR INTERIOR BRIGHTER AND SMELL BETTER,ALSO MAKES YOUR TIRES LAST LONGER, AND AUTOMATICALLY CLEANS YOUR ENGINE AND WHAT A DEAL ONLY 500.00 FOR AN ITEM THAT COST ME NOTHING TO BUILD.......... :D

Tony J.
04-27-2004, 08:26
What's with all the all CAPS? ISN'T THAT SUPPOSED TO BE WHEN YOU'RE YELLING???! tongue.gif

BTW- Bill Heath sells a nice PMD relocator as well- nobody's mentioned him yet... Comes with a brand new FSD as well. Around $350 IIRC.

Heath Diesel (http://www.heathdiesel.com)

65-f100
04-27-2004, 12:16
Thanks for all the replies. Seems most are happy with the Bilsteins. I contacted OffRoadWarehouse and also www.shox.com. (http://www.shox.com.) Both of them confirmed that there is not a Comfort-valved shock for the 2500. They also both said that the HD valving in my truck would not be harsh at all because of the weight of the truck. Shox has a set of 4 four $240.00 by the way. They also carry Tokico and Koni. He said Koni would be much firmer and that Tokico would give a nice ride, but that the Bilsteins were the best by far and that he would out those on his own truck. I think I'll pursue these and let ya'll know how they work out. Thanks again for all the input.

EscaladeDiesel
04-27-2004, 13:24
When I replace the shocks on my 1998 K2500 4x4 Suburban TD, I put on Edlebrock shocks thinking they were the NEW & IMPROVED shocks of the future <Grin>, BUT.... based upon my experience with Bilstiens I would suggest the Bilsteins. The Edlebrock shocks are VERY harsh and the ride deteriorated in my opinion, sorta rides like my dually when going over R/R tracks etc. When I replace the shocks on my K2500 4x4 Extended Cab, with Bilsteins the ride was night and day different, very smooth, and good dampening.

Big Red Suburban
04-28-2004, 10:57
I replaced my worn out stock shocks with Bilsteins. I still can't decide if I like them or not. When I received them I got the following message from the seller: "The numbers that I use will not match. They are for the 1500 Sub, but they built these as 8 lug trucks, and the valving/dimensions are very similar."

I'm not sure if this means I got a different shock all together or if there is any difference at all?

Anyone know if the bilstein shocks are supposed to be different for the 1500 or 2500 suburbans?

dieselbegreat
04-28-2004, 13:33
What numbers are the Bilstein shocks you got? I can say from experience that Rancho shocks give a great controlled ride -- for about a couple months, and then they're blown out and your truck will ride like junk. KYB, I've heard same thing. You can't really go wrong with Bilsteins which, from what I've heard, last a long long time.

65-f100
04-29-2004, 07:59
Big Red - according to the www.offroadwarehouse.com (http://www.offroadwarehouse.com) site - they are different. They list different part #'s front and rear for the 1500 and 2500 and also between the 2WD and 4WD. If you have 1500 shocks on your 2500, they may not be correct. I'd sure call and talk to whoever sold them to you to make sure. Good luck.

Kennedy
04-29-2004, 08:53
The fronts for most K series trucks are now the same part number. The rears are different, and I use a different application for the pickups thatn what Bilstein calls for.

The Suburban rear shocks are split to 1500 and 2500, but the valving differences are minimal. The Suburban is so heavy in back already that it will benefit from the better damping of a Bilstein without being harsh.

The guys buying the new Silverado/Sierra HD's are gobbling up the Bilsteins faster than we can restock them. I've very seldom ever heard a complaint about the ride on Bilsteins that I have sold. The exact opposite is true as I have guys singing praises after install...

In reality, I believe many try to go too light with their shocks and get uncontrolled movement due to insufficient valving....

Shotuscnc
04-30-2004, 09:29
ordered Bilsteins for my Suburban... rears are 6mos backorder...

got the front coming right now..

DickWells
05-03-2004, 18:15
As far as I'concerned, Bilstiens are the ONLY way to go. I put mine in my Sub. 2500 back in 99, and have put on around 85K miles since then. About 80% of my mileage is towing. My trailer tongue now wieghs 1420 lbs. The Sub. weighs 8200+ lbs. solo, with my usual load in it. I average to put on several hundred miles out on trails every year. I can't see any degredation of control in five years! I'm not aware that anyone else advertises their shocks to have 95-98%? of their effectiveness after 100K miles.
Dick Wells