PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo'd 6.2?

Mucks
04-06-2008, 11:05
hey, i am building a 84 gmc 2500 with a 6" lift and 37's for a mud/ pulling truck. has anyone bolted twin turbo's to a 6.2? or should i just convert it to the 6.5 sey-up? i am going to do a block up motor. i have the motor torn apart now and i am starting to buy parts. Block and heads are good. now just crank, rods and such, any suggestions on crank and rods/pistons?? thanks mike

Subzilla
04-07-2008, 08:40
Yup, someone here has done it but I just can't seem to remember his name. It seems they did it on a tractor!

waorth
04-07-2008, 10:09
IMHO it was Peter Bierman from the Netherlands. No clue if he's still here.

Few shots of his setup can be found on the Oliver Diesel side:
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/friends/bierman.htm

Regards.
Walter

DmaxMaverick
04-07-2008, 10:58
Peter J. Bierman (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/member.php?u=5863) has a 1985 twin turbo CUCV Blazer. 6.5 Nova did the twin pump twin turbo 6.2 and 6.5 Massey tractor (try a forum search for the info and some videos).

john8662
04-08-2008, 08:23
I believe the tractor was a single turbo unit (HX-50), at one time housing twin DB2 injection pumps. It is my understanding that the configuration has changed once again to now incorporate a single inline big plunger injection pump.

Peter is the only one I know that did twins on a 6.2 so far.

There are a few different configurations of twins, parallel and series. The series configuration is common for tons of boost more commonly referred to as compound turbocharging.

The moral of the story is that you can have twins, but a single turbo is usually more than enough.

veager
04-08-2008, 08:38
Actually when working as a Mercury mechanic I came across a micro fiche from mercruiser with twin turbo 6.2 set up.
It was a long time ago so don't remember a lot about it but it was rated at 250 hp I believe and IP was set around 90 some cc's if I am not mistaken.
It must have been a similar IP of the 93 6.5 I am guessing.
I have no Idea how many of these were produced as I have never seen one.
They probably all grenaded lol

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2008, 08:44
The tractor has seen several updates. First, it was a twin turbo 6.2 with a single DB2 pump. Later, a single turbo 6.5 with dual DB2 pumps. Several variations in between.

I have "heard" of several twin turbo 6.2 and 6.5 engines. Only a few have been documented. But, like John said, a good setup with a single will offer all the air a 6.5 can handle, not to mention fewer parts to break. Although, they don't rate near as high on the cool meter.

93GMCSierra
04-08-2008, 11:37
If it will work the same having the twin turbo, for the dual exhaust, would be very cool. I would have to agree.

Truck
04-25-2008, 11:26
It has been a long time since I posted here. but I've been thinking about this on a 6.2 jeep swap. Small twin turbos may result the same power 1 large one would give but with faster spinup time giving smoother acceleration and less 'turbo lag'. Been trying to think of something with smooth control for the rocks, a boost of power would be bad.

Truck