PDA

View Full Version : Odometer reading shifted up

sturgeon-phish
04-05-2008, 01:39
I was looking at a newer crew dually with a 6.5 and really low miles, and noticed the numbers on the odometer were all shifted up about 1/4 or 1/3. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when an odometer is shifted up, this is an indication of someone rolling back the odometer. Is this true?
Thanks
Jim

DmaxMaverick
04-05-2008, 02:22
Yep. If the numbers are out of center, and/or there are lines between the the digits, it's an indication of tampering, intentional or otherwise.

a5150nut
04-05-2008, 08:17
Look close at the wear on the foot pedels, floor mat and door handles. I looked at a car on a lot once and it had an odometer set at 37800.0. From the looks of the pedels , mat, and door handle I would have guessed 137800.0 miles.

I will even crawl under a vehicle. Look at the undercarige, look under the hood. I found a nice 3/4 ton 6.5 once that had low miles and was pretty clean. Close examinaton it looked like it had been in a flood. Silt and grass, weeds deposited in nooks and crannies under the hood, under seats, ect.

Good luck with your search.

sturgeon-phish
04-05-2008, 16:48
Thanks, I thought as much. The other evidence as you mentioned like pedals seat ware and the like confirmed someting was up. Gonna pass on this one, besides I love my truck!
Jim