PDA

View Full Version : First diesel :) first problem :(

randysl
04-26-2004, 16:07
First off, I checked most of the other messages and didn't find any that matched my problem. So here it is. I've got a '96 K2500 with a 6.5 with 180000 miles. Had it for about a year. It ran great for about 6 months (5000 miles) then after driving for about 5 miles it stalled and started right back up and drove to and from work fine. The next morning I went to start it and it started right up but revved very high without my foot on the accelerator and clouds of black smoke came out the pipe. then it went through a cycle of nearly stalling to just about redlining for about 5 minutes without me touching anything, then it ran fine after that but only at very low rpm's after about 1500 it'd run very irradically. Could this be a PDC issue? I've got good mechanical skills but not too much money or knowledge of these engines. any good ideas? It's got all new filters and I've used the same fuel since I bought it. The price seemed kinda cheap and I'm wondering if this is why. Thanks a bunch.

rj
04-26-2004, 16:12
I had nearly identical symptoms when the FSD (fuel solenoid driver) on the injection pump failed. Many discussions available on the forum re: FSD's (also called PMD's - pump mounted drivers) and options for remote mounting the FSD unit. A remote mount is a benefit for easy maintenance, if for no other reason.

randysl
04-26-2004, 16:20
I've read a lot about these so far. Are they easy to find? Cheap? Is it a risk to buy a used one?

tom.mcinerney
04-26-2004, 18:03
Some used ones are OK, all (new/otherwise) are a risk.
Avail at all GM dealerships, many TDP advertisers, most Stanadyne shops. Among best prices: RebuiltDiesel.com A reputable vendor offering remote mounting heatsink , and custom made extension cord: Kennedy Diesel. See advertisers section.
Suggest continue reading until comfortable with notion that it's probably the driver transistor failing in ON mode, or the solenoid itself sticking ON.

randysl
04-26-2004, 18:56
Suggest continue reading until comfortable with notion that it's probably the driver transistor failing in ON mode, or the solenoid itself sticking ON.

I'm not too familiar with what that means. Could you be a little more specific please? And a possible solution or definate test? Thanks again

ttpost
04-27-2004, 07:47
I BOUGHT MY NEW FSD/PMD ON EBAY FOR 180 INCLUDING SHIPPING, BRAND NEW STANADYNE, I WOULDNT MESS WITH AN OLD ONE.THERE IS A LADY OUT OF CANADA SELLING EM REGULARLY,GOT IT IN 4 DAYS, SAVED ME $$$ GOOD LUCK

Marty Lau
04-27-2004, 09:09
If you with any type of PMD/FSD cooler set up make sure it's mounted away from the engine and heat. The intake mounted installs (IMNHO) are nearly worthless. Either rplace it on the pump (PIA) or do a remote mount out of the heat. Whole kit can be had from about $380-$510 depending on where you get one.

Polar Diesel
04-27-2004, 09:22
Don't forget about cam/ crank sensors. One or the other will cause this, i can't remember which one. maybe both, but i'm thinking cam.

randysl
04-28-2004, 08:53
Thanks for everybody's help! I'm lookin now for a PMD as soon as I get that on I'll report back what's goin on. Thanks again for the suggestions.

randysl
04-29-2004, 17:18
Well, I charged the batteries and it fired right up today and ran great. Even went for a little ride. This just became an intermittent problem. I think I'll still replace the pmd though with a remote harness. Could this be an indicator that the pump itself is fine and it's just the driver or not?