PDA

View Full Version : New and Old Oil Leaks in LMM

Dakster
03-31-2008, 08:22
I can't figure out a way to put a photo from my album in here, but after finding a large puddle of oil on my driveway I looked underneath my 2007.5 truck (the one in my sig) and found the following oil leaks. All of these are in my photo album. I would like a comment to see if any of these are normal, especially number 4 and number 5.

1. Most obvious is oil between tranny and motor. This is what is putting the large puddle of oil in the driveway. Lots of oil here. This leaks has been talking about before.

2. Oil is on one of the tranny oil lines - looks like a different source than #1. Again, I've heard of this leaks before.

3. Oil is ABOVE the oil drain plug, I have not been doing extreme off-roading that would put the truck in a position for oil to flow in that direction, in fact no off-roading. Otherwise I would say the drain plug in leaking, but oil doesn't leak against gravity.

4. One end of the U-Joint is loosing grease on the driveshaft-to-transfer case.

5. Transfer case slip yoke seal is leaking.

It looks like my transfer case yoke end has stress cracks in it, but I have to verify it isn't dirt. I couldn't see as well as the photo when I was underneath or I would've verified already.

If you have an early build LMM, I would suggest looking underneath to see what is going on. The most disturbing part is that I do not tow. I do not drive inclines. I haul very little weight, the most being 1500 pounds at the high end. (My dad estimated it was more like 1k lbs.) and I only have 6300 miles.... I rarely see above 50 mph.

Any insights before I go to the dealer with this?

Thanks...

rob from bc canada
03-31-2008, 19:34
Are you sure that's not a Dodge in disguise you have there??

I've had a number of courier drivers running Dodge Cummy's always leave a drip-mark in my driveway after dropping off stuff, but they probably had LOTS of miles on.

I bought a Chev partly because they don't seem to leak, and so far, my 05 with 50,000 km = 30,000 miles on it, is absolutely bone dry underneath. My 93 with 180,000 on it, when I traded it in on my 05, did not leave any drip marks when parked.

I just rechecked before posting this, and there isn't enough oil or grease anywhere to even get dust to stick!!!

If I had that many leaks, I'd be down at my Dealers with loud noisy conversations happening..

Mark Rinker
03-31-2008, 20:21
My '01, '02, '04, '05 Duramax's were virtually leak free until 150K and beyond, when one would expect to start replacing seals.

My '06, with less than 50K, has leaked transmission fluid (bad lines, replaced), rear end fluid (bad yoke and pinion seal, replaced), and is now wet near the transmission/transfer case joint.

Sad to see what appears to be backsliding in the quality of a hugely popular product line. (I wish they would have built the 2003 LB7 for a few decades without mechanical change, maybe just licensed JK's tow/haula** ECM tune and paid him royalties!!!)

Why muck with a good thing to such and extent, in only 7 short years??? Three engine families - none that improved on the previous...*sigh*

Dakster
04-01-2008, 05:34
I have agree, my 2005 GMC Yukon Denali XL, which unfortunately was GAS, was FLAWLESS. I should have never traded it in... The interior was great compared to the interior that is falling apart in this one. (They are replacing the interior carpet today). The rear seats are separating from the plastic back and the leather. I constantly have push the plastic trim pieces that hide wires back into place. No oil leaks. Only time it saw the dealer is the TPM sensor grenaded in the tire.

Now the oil leaks and seals leking.. GM and I lucked out in that my new $25k driveway hasn't been put in yet.

As long as it is all fixed..

Hook_'em_Horns!
04-01-2008, 12:39
I can't figure out a way to put a photo from my album in here, but after finding a large puddle of oil on my driveway I looked underneath my 2007.5 truck (the one in my sig) and found the following oil leaks. All of these are in my photo album. I would like a comment to see if any of these are normal, especially number 4 and number 5.

1. Most obvious is oil between tranny and motor. This is what is putting the large puddle of oil in the driveway. Lots of oil here. This leaks has been talking about before.

2. Oil is on one of the tranny oil lines - looks like a different source than #1. Again, I've heard of this leaks before.

3. Oil is ABOVE the oil drain plug, I have not been doing extreme off-roading that would put the truck in a position for oil to flow in that direction, in fact no off-roading. Otherwise I would say the drain plug in leaking, but oil doesn't leak against gravity.

4. One end of the U-Joint is loosing grease on the driveshaft-to-transfer case.

5. Transfer case slip yoke seal is leaking.

It looks like my transfer case yoke end has stress cracks in it, but I have to verify it isn't dirt. I couldn't see as well as the photo when I was underneath or I would've verified already.

If you have an early build LMM, I would suggest looking underneath to see what is going on. The most disturbing part is that I do not tow. I do not drive inclines. I haul very little weight, the most being 1500 pounds at the high end. (My dad estimated it was more like 1k lbs.) and I only have 6300 miles.... I rarely see above 50 mph.

Any insights before I go to the dealer with this?

Thanks...

My ’02 LB7 had the same leak as you described in items 1-3. At first, the amount clinging to the oil pan near the drain plug was such a small amount that I thought it was just the plug, so I replaced it. Later as it grew and spread more I thought, “Great, a rear main seal AND transmission leaks…carp!” :eek:

In actuality, it was an oil line crossing over the top side, near the firewall. It was not cheap to fix (out of warranty) but it never leaked again. Why there is an oil line there and what its purpose is, I do not know.

With my ’05 LLY, I kept a more watchful eye during the warranty period, inspecting with good lighting when servicing. It also developed the same leak as the LB7. This time I caught it early enough to be warranted. :D

A coincidence or maybe it’s how I work it, I don’t know.

I’m keeping this ‘05 for longer than I normally would, and let the potential (or real) problems get worked out in the next model year. Then again, a new round of change starts in 2010, if we can afford diesel by then. :confused:

Dakster
04-02-2008, 13:59
I hope that is all it is... So far the dealer said it will be ready Friday and that it blew a seal.

I too doubt I will be able to afford a diesel in 2010 if the price increases continue as they have the last few years.

I will keep you all updated....

-- Dakster