PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust upgrade decision?

REMF
03-29-2008, 11:15
I have a 98 Chev K3500 crew with a 6.5, I would like to upgrade the current stock exhaust with a 4” as that is what I have read would be the most beneficial for the truck.

I have been searching for complete exhaust kits but some seem sort off confusing, and it seems that most kits are for the duramax and not the older models.

What do you recommend for a complete kit? I would like a complete kit that goes from both side manifolds all the way to the tip.

Thank you in advance for any and all recommendations.

MrDiesel
03-29-2008, 15:09
Well, as you have a turbo diesel you would not be going from the manifolds back but rather the turbo back. You are correct, this is an excellent mod to do to your truck and you should notice a increase in power especially in the upper rpms as the engine can breath better. The stalk down pipe is rather restrictive and looks like some one took a hammer to it. Kennedy Diesel, Heath diesel, ssdieselsupply all sell 3 inch or better complete exhaust systems.
As for the crossover pipe you can upgrade to a knew one but it wont give a very noticeable gain in performance unless your current one is leaking.

sturgeon-phish
03-29-2008, 18:17
I highly recommend the 31/2 from Kennedy. Do some searches on posts and you will see a common point. All of the parts needed come with the Kennedy, and the only modification is cutting one pipe to the correct length for the type of truck you have. Other kits you will hear of parts especially hangers needed to be modified to work. Well worth the extra $$$$.
Jim

winemaker
03-31-2008, 11:06
How timely...I just installed the Heath Diesel 4" system with the crossover yesterday, and I have to say it's wicked!

Other than the first 2 bolts snapping off, the install was straight forward. I had to spend quite a bit of time drilling out the bolts that snapped off in the driver's side manifold, but the rest was pretty easy. Tha band-clamp at the turbo was a bit of a puzzle 'til I figured it out. After loosening it, I couldn't figure out how to actually open it up. Finally I got out the sawzall and cut the exhaust just aft of the down pipe and gave it a wiggle or 2 and the band-clamp came unseated.

The only thing my system didn't come with, which surprised me and I'm lucky I have a couple peanutbutter jars full of nuts-n-bolts, was the 2 bolts connecting the turbo down tube to the rest of the system.

Other than that, the hangers lined up, etc, and it all went back together fairly quickly. One quick cut with the grinder wheel to cut the middle length of pipe, and that's all she wrote.

Sounds great, runs great.....can't wait to install my turbo master and Max-E-Tork!

Whether you go with Heath, Kennedy or ???, you'll love it. Good luck
Brett

Jochen Woern
03-31-2008, 11:48
Wai until you install the Turbo Master and the Max-E-Tork. I just did it two weeks ago.

You will not recognize your truck!

sturgeon-phish
04-02-2008, 07:01
Please tell me more about the Turbo Master and the Max Torque you referenced. What it is what it does cost ease of instalation and the like .
Thanks
Jim

Robyn
04-02-2008, 07:24
The Turbo master is an adjustable waste gate controler that uses a spring to control the boost pressure instead of the complex vacuum system.

The Max E Tork is a complete reprogram of the engine controls.
The 94-95 trucks has a prom change. The 96 and later require changing the complete EDM

This little creature is located behind the glove box right over the top of the HVAC unit.

The unit is not hard to remove, just disconnect the batteries and then slide the unit out and unplug the multiple wiring harnesses.
There is a little retainer tab that needs to be pressed to release the ECM from its mounting. Its a bit of a tussel to get out but not bad.

The new uinit will slide right in and replace the old one.

The difference is NIGHT and DAY.

best

Robyn

winemaker
04-02-2008, 10:46
Well, further to having installed my Heath exhaust this past weekend, I installed the turbomaster and max-e-tork last night....

HOLY CRAP

I don't have my boost guage and pyro hooked up til tonight so I've gone easy on the throttle (not knowing for certain where my Turbomaster is set) and I have to say this is the first time in the 2 years I've owned this truck that I can hear the turbo whine. I love that sound!

My friend Grant, a former member/former 6.5 owner, did these mods to his '94 a few years ago and I was really impressed with the performance, having borrowed his truck to haul my 1978 27' trailer up the Coquihalla hwy (6 hours of hills). It was enough for me to sell my Dodge Cummins and buy a Chev with the dream of some day doing these same mods. It's hard to compete with a memory...one usually remembers good things being better than they really were...but I can say I'm just as happy as I thought I would be.

I'm out of pocket about $1200 for the exhaust, turbomaster and maxetork, and I feel I got good value and excellent bang for the buck. Sturgeon, I see you've already got the Kennedy exhaust, so you would be on the hook for $489 for the Max-e-tork and I think $109 for the Turbo Master, plus shipping and tax. There is a $600 core charge on the MaxEtork...I guess they REALLY want it back!
Brett

Jochen Woern
04-02-2008, 15:32
See, I told you, you would not recognize your truck.

Installation is EASY, it took me about 1 1/2 - 2 hours for both, Turbo Master and Max-E-Tork, this inlcudes removal of the old as well as installation of the new. (And sufficient time to have a cold one in between).

I love the Max-E-Tork/Turbo Master set up and I really hope that I will see a major improvement in towing my 26' foot Travel Trailer. I really hope I will go up hills with EASE now.
(I have not towed since I installed the Heath Equipment).

Can anyone confirm the improvement in towing AFTER installation of the above?

Many thanks in advance.

REMF
04-02-2008, 16:34
Damn thread hijackers LOL just kidding, great info, now I just need to save up more $.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that replied with great information.

I decided to go with the Diamond eye performance 4" exhaust, got a great deal which is hard to come by up here in AK. It seems everyone wants to charge an arm and a leg (screw you) on shipping when it really isn’t that big of a deal. Plus I got the system with NO shipping cost.

Question on the Turbo Master and the Max Torque? Do they need to be run together? Or can you install one and then save some cash for the other?

Also which would be the more beneficial (if you can run one of them) for fuel economy and towing capability?

winemaker
04-02-2008, 16:55
I think they are meant to be run together, or at least that's what it says on the Heath website. Having said that, I speculate that if you were to run 1 for now and the other later, the TurboMaster would be the stand-alone item as the Max-E-Tork computer is programmed to run with the TM, not with the stock vac system.
Can someone else confirm this?

Jochen: As my prior post states, I borrowed my buddy's truck to haul my trailer. It's Old and Heavy and I was pulling big grades. I had an easy time of that pull. I won't go so far as to say that I didn't even feel it behind me, but I will say I was surprised at how easy a pull it was.
Brett

mrwilecoyote
04-05-2008, 21:31
I did the maxi torque first. If your vac system /waste gate controller is working it should be fine but you'll get more out of it once you do the turbomaster. For exaust I have heard warpspeed and J Jardine are really good and easy on the wallet. Unfortunatley no one makes a kit for my two. Gotta go custom shop because in CT they visually inspect for the soot trap(all though mine got gutted by some terrorist :) ).