PDA

View Full Version : Injector Socket - Anyone loan/rent here?

MarkMorissette
03-28-2008, 22:49
My new injectors are enroute. Thanks to all those who offered advice in my earlier thread and made me realize how suicidal it would be not to replace them before our 7000 mile trip (with 34' travel trailer in tow) this summer.

Anyhow, the next task is getting them in. I've decided to do it myself, and am going to try to tackle it without taking the turbo off after having read it's possible with the correct amount of patience.

I've got lots of that.

So, next requirement is the injector socket. Looking around it seems that one is going to cost me about $60 by time I'm all done with the price, and shipping charges assuming I buy online. Buying locally I'm looking at over $100.

Is there anyone here that would be willing to ship me theirs on a rental/loan situation? Since I only need it for this one single job it seems silly to invest a bunch of money in a tool that I'm probably only ever going to use once, so I was wondering if any members have one floating around that they'd be willing to hook me up with.

I'll gladly pay shipping both ways via USPS, and you will have my eternal gratitude. :D

Thanks!
Mark

wade-ve7trw
03-28-2008, 22:57
30mm deep axle socket from crap tire

MarkMorissette
03-28-2008, 23:00
30mm deep axle socket from crap tire

No cutout for fuel return nipples, and the proper socket is shorter to facilitate space constraints.

rhsub
03-28-2008, 23:49
Mark I have a injector socket and u are In luck I live in Whitby ON, call me after 12:00 on saturday 905 666-8574
Ron H

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2008, 00:14
Good job, Rhsub.

Snap-On and Mac get $45 for these.

MarkMorissette
03-29-2008, 06:30
Mark I have a injector socket and u are In luck I live in Whitby ON, call me after 12:00 on saturday 905 666-8574
Ron H

Ron, your the man - Thanks!

I'll be in touch.

MarkMorissette
03-29-2008, 06:31
Snap-On and Mac get $45 for these.

Don't forget to add in the "We live in Canada and despite the dollar being at parity many things like tools still mysteriously cost much more" fee, which would probably bring the cost of that socket (if bought via a Snap On dealer here) to about $80 after taxes. ;-)

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2008, 11:43
Don't forget to add in the "We live in Canada and despite the dollar being at parity many things like tools still mysteriously cost much more" fee, which would probably bring the cost of that socket (if bought via a Snap On dealer here) to about $80 after taxes. ;-)

Agreed. I was just pointing out they are not a cheap tool. You can buy one on Ebay for more, and get a "generic" brand (hecho en somewhere else). OTC offers one for the same price. Heath offers a "loan" on this tool, where you purchase, use, and return it for a full refund (his price is $65 for a "no-name"), which will only cost shipping 2 ways in the end.

All that taken into account, if you plan on doing your own maintenance in the future, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have this in your toolbox.

More Power
03-29-2008, 12:17
Three years ago, member Conley Janssen offered to "make" injector sockets for not a lot. The one in the picture is one he made for me.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/conley06.jpg

I don't know what his current cost is, but I'd bet it's a better deal than the least expensive out there. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or email, and I'll forward your request to Conley.

Jim

MarkMorissette
03-30-2008, 12:59
Ron generously offered to loan me his once my injectors arrive - he lives about 10 minutes away from me, so I couldn't ask for anything better.

With any luck this will be the first-and-last time I ever have to do injectors on this engine, so I couldn't really justify buying one for my own needs.

Back on the subject of doing the replacement without removing the turbo, I was looking at things yesterday and it looks like it's only a few heat shields that block otherwise "moderate" (not idea, but manageable) access to the passenger side injectors....is this the case for anyone having done it this way?

The turbo bolts do look to be in good condition, but based on just about every single experience I've ever had with exhaust components I've experienced horror stories with sheared bolts and broken studs - I really don't want to get into this situation on my truck (especially with a limited set of tools to get myself out of the situation if it should occur) should it be possible to avoid.

trbankii
04-07-2008, 11:58
Three years ago, member Conley Janssen offered to "make" injector sockets for not a lot.

[snip]

I don't know what his current cost is, but I'd bet it's a better deal than the least expensive out there. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or email, and I'll forward your request to Conley.

Jim

Conley set me up with the last one he had from his last run for much better than I was seeing them go for on eBay. He said he'd be doing another run of them sometime in the future. I'm very pleased with the product and the price!