PDA

View Full Version : driveline clunk in 4wd

lb7lbz
03-28-2008, 15:18
my 01 dmax x cab has developed a driveline clunck in 4wd,it seems as though something is binding or maybe something in the t case is not right. havnt had a chance to get under it and wont till sun. has anyone experienced this before that could point me in the right direction?:(

More Power
04-09-2008, 13:23
Does this happen during engagement or while driving?

Check the U-joints. If OK, remove the front driveline, then test it again.

Jim

lb7lbz
04-10-2008, 07:02
the clunk is when u drive forward after shifting to 4wd. sounds to me that the transfer case isnt shifting in completely then when u go it slams in

JohnC
04-10-2008, 07:38
This can happen if you are stopped and things aren't lined up perfectly, especially of some of the wheels can slip when power is applied. Try engaging 4WD while the truck is coasting slowly.

lb7lbz
04-15-2008, 18:35
checked the other day to see if things maybe were not lining up properly by shifting in to 4hi while on idle speed. got a loud clunk on what i assume was engagement and several more as i continued to let it idle down the driveway. put it back in 2wd and all goes away wife drives it to work 40 mile round trip every day (in 2wd) and no problems or clunking.i'm thinking its just time for a new t-case:( anyone know someone who has one. junkyards want $1200 ouch