PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 td fuel pump conversion

Hookena
03-27-2008, 14:06
I have been told that the best way to eliminate the many problems I have with my 94 suburban is to convert the engine to a non-electronic fuel pump with associated wiring etc to handle the automatic transmission and other items run buy the electronic pump system. is there a kit available to do this, or some instruction available?? has not run for over 6 months. has about 145,000 miles. thank you, david in colorado, suburban in hawaii.

winemaker
03-27-2008, 15:54
I'm by no means one of the knowledgeable folks here at TDP, however it sounds to me like you are suffering the PMD/FSD blues. Do you know precisely what's wrong with your electronic injection system that's causing you to think about a fairly major refit, or are you fishing for help on diagnosis as well as solutions?
Have you read up on PMD/FSD problems?
Brett

Hookena
03-27-2008, 16:45
I bought the truck on the mainland and drove to California to ship to Hawaii to convert to run on veggie oil as had done for over 5 years with 97 7.3 F350 crew. ran fine on diesel initially, but soon after arriving in Hawaii began to occasionally miss. I added spare tank and tank switch. before running any oil in either tank it was missing worse. missing stopped, and finished conversion. did not start on oil or diesel, started, and died. started again. ran about 60 miles on heated, filtered oil, but stalled. I by-passed the oil sensing switch so that fuel entered motor with ignition on. not dependant upon engine turning over. Put in new lift pump. ran on oil for about 100 miles and stalled again. started, etc...put in new pmd. ran great, began to stall. replaced injectors with new marine injectors. ran great, on diesel and oil. stalled and would not start. decided not a good car for oil. had friend take out tank and clean (not sure they did a good job, however). replaced pump with new rebuilt bought on line. ran good for about 1/2 mile and stalled. gave up. after sitting a while found dense oil and thick crud/residue from the fuel tank or fuel line, after I thought all the lines ajnd tank were cleaned. this crud passed the filter and probably ruined new pump and injectors!! still residue the tank probably dislodged by oil in the old tank.
meanwhile will not run!!
do not want to give up and junk the car as it is in very good shape otherwise. but have too much money in it without some light at the end. thoughts are to get new tank, change pump to mechanical and change computer and wiring to get to run and at that point either run on oil as others have that were able to convert pump easily because of manual transmission, or at least have dependable diesel to sell.
long story with no happy ending in sight.
any advice welcome, thank you....

Warren96
03-28-2008, 07:46
Getting another PMD/FSD like Winemaker said is probably a good choice to eleminate that. But it shure seems to be a contaminated fuel issue. The tank has to be drained and cleaned and the inside of the tank wiped out to be sure that it is clean. The filter has to be examined to see if it has this sludge you mentioned in it.Try draining a little fuel from the filter to see if it is clean. No engine will run with even a little sludge in the fuel.....By the way, don't loosen the tank with even a little fuel left in it, don't ask me how I know this!