PDA

View Full Version : Stalls while driving

BrentN
03-27-2008, 06:58
My 2002 Chevy Silverado engine dies while driving, it will fire start right back up as soon as it dies. What causes this? Is it a dirty fuel filter? Its a very uncomfortable situation especially when towing.

Mark Rinker
03-27-2008, 07:26
Could be lots of things - I'd start with a fresh fuel filter if its suspect, and change on 10-15K intervals.

If that doesn't solve it, you should scan for codes set by the failure. Most likely will be fuel related.

BrentN
03-27-2008, 12:10
Thanks Mark, I'll try that. I purchased the truck just recently, so I do not know much about the care that it has recieved. I was curious though, shouldn't the truck have given me a check engine light? It acted as though nothing was wrong.

Mark Rinker
03-27-2008, 17:12
Your model year has an 'LB7' series Duramax. It will not set a code when fuel filter is partially plugged.

Start there.

Do you have an owners manual? There actually is ALOT of good information to be found there.

How many miles? What do you know of other fluid maintenance?

BrentN
03-28-2008, 07:16
The truck has 156,000 miles on it. The guy delivered kitchen displays across the country, in a large 5th wheel trailer. I did get a chance to talk to him due to him leaving a reciept in the truck with his address in it. He said that he routinly changed the fluids in it along with changing out the Dex Cool. He told me he had little to no problems with the truck, but he had to buy a new one so he could be under a warrenty. Especially being so far from home with it at times. When I got the truck the brakes needed replacing, other then that the truck really looks good, almost in new condition in appearence.

Hook_'em_Horns!
03-28-2008, 14:59
The D-Max just luvs a new clean filter, even when running good. Buy in bulk, half the price.