PDA

View Full Version : You do not have to touch the intake or pump to change your FSD / PMD

Low_Bridge
08-20-2004, 13:36
***First of all, I do beleive relocation is the best choice!***

I fabricated a tool out of reading various posts lurking off to the sideline by those who claimed fsd removal w/out touching the pump or intake. Well it can be done! :D

Yes it is tedious & tool fabrication is time consuming but in the end new fsd went back on in a little over an hour.

I unplugged the FSD only to see another couple of wires going under the intake where do they go? :confused:

I'm ready to extend the harness & I'd rather fabricate it off the truck.

Thanks as always for the help-

I'll post some pic's of the tool when done- and details of the process.

http://Partsnews.com/FSD_PMD_Tool.jpg

This is the tool. a sacrificial torx bit cut off with just a little flair to catch on the hole I drilled in a peice of angel bracket I had layin around. Not even "brased" on, I had that clippy deal to hold it on. It took a few hours to make as I went. The new one went right back on once the tool could fit everywhere it needed. About an hour to reinstall. I use the tool to check tightness every once & awhile.

Appreciated by some, humorous to others :D

[ 05-08-2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

MTTwister
08-20-2004, 14:42
Oh yeah - that could be a nasty harness - There's a main harness connector on the lower front of the IP - down in there, and there's another 2-3 wire harness from that to the pass side. The one on the front has a nasty rubber boot into a lip seal thingy - ( working from memory on a spare IP I have at home).

I had a tough time just getting that dang connector off the PMD and fished out of there. First thought was - T'ain't gonna go back on very easy.

Low_Bridge
08-20-2004, 15:05
Yeah I'm thinking it goes to the pump! Darn can it be disconnected & reconnected with the manifold & pump in place? Looks crazy!! :eek:

It's temping just to put the new fsd on the pump & fiqure I'll be ok another 35-60k so I can rrock & roll

MTTwister
08-20-2004, 15:40
If you cut down a Torx15, and weld it to a flat piece of steel, you - theoritically- able to get the screws out without turning the IP or oher dismantelling. Suggest you think about a remote mount and an extension cord. I got the Plate and 6' extension cord from Bill Heath - without the FSD, used my own. Really worth thinking about - looks like you have other wheels to get around smile.gif .

Low_Bridge
08-20-2004, 17:02
too late I commited FSD Adultry-

Give me 20k miles on this new FSD & it's a deal I remounted the new one on the pump in a little over an hour.

I'm also a stroke because of all the BS I had configured in my mind of how I would rig the new cooler. (thats what we called those at the track who were all talk but couldn't even cut a light)

I laid out 10k for this rig for my wife & she can't drive it so now we'll see :mad:

I beleive the right thing to do is remote mount.

BUT This truck needs to Roll. So after I finish my 2nd peice of pizza and another raz (FSD celebration) I'll go crank her up-

Be sure, if I need to eat crow I'll tell you guys when it's time to feed it to me!

Remote mount will be in the works (maybe)

Update (3rd Razz)@9:56 PM

Cranked right up let her run for a 15-20 min-

Shut her down one time in between / She cranked right up- :cool:

Looks like she goes into service tomorrow

[ 08-20-2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

joebrepo
08-21-2004, 14:05
When my PMD went out, I did not have the time to remove the injection pump or order the remote mount kit. I was heading out of town the next morning, so I needed to make my own remote bracket. After looking at the one on the internet, I looked round in my garage and found a heatsink that was attached to my factory stereo that I had replaced a few months earlier. Drilled and tapped it to fit the new PMD and made a quicky bracket to mount were the cover used to bolt to the intake. Sticks up a few inches, but I did not have to modify my harness.

Low_Bridge
08-23-2004, 03:14
Ran a bout 50 miles stop & go for two days -

Ran flawless :cool: Thanks Diesel Page & Members!

Marty Lau
08-23-2004, 13:48
Bill;

The pump mount may not be so bad. The one thats dead on my IP went 100,000 miles before puking, I bought one of Beta coolers and mounted per instructions from Beta on the Intake FSD fried in under 30,000 miles. So pump mount 100k Beta mount 30K which is better? Beta told me his well I disagree if you do it get the darn thing out of the heat! I have a Beta cooler I'd let go reasonable..........

Low_Bridge
08-23-2004, 14:14
Yes to the cab the FSD wil go if & when-

But I want to make a clean exchange, a new harness into where the old plugged into FSD- Oh yeah & I've got a mean peice of alluminum heat sink cut (two sizes) You know when you go to sell you truck some may only beleive in GM (God Mother's Configuration) & think it been hacked.(ok so that way I can Un Hackit)

Well see whether interigation, stealth or brethern will reveal the source for the harness connections?

Maby a test auction on Ebay? na (I'll prbably get turned in?)

I turned the wife loose with the truck today along with my 3.5 children (in the process of replicating). She will have logged 100 miles on the new FSD by the time she gets back & I guess it will be time to look at other fixes. & figure we've DX'd this glitch.

LanduytG
08-23-2004, 16:26
Beta cooler for almost 120K and its mounted on the intake and still working. You don't suppose that you might of had a bad PMD? I had 2 on in the first 50K miles of the trucks life. The heat on the intake is less than the heat down on the pump in among all the iron.

Greg

tanker
08-24-2004, 01:22
I like Greg used a Beta cooler on the intake for many moons with out a problem. ;) I have since purchased a 6ft, extension harness from John Kennedy, and it now resides below the front bumper, with the cooling fins facing forward.I bolted it to a 1/4"x2"x2"x8" aluminum angle, then used one existing bolt hole, and drilled another hole in the lower bumper flange. Works great, with plenty of cool air flow. Seems to me that the intake manifold assy gets hotter than I would like to touch :rolleyes: so I went to the front. Time will tell. smile.gif

moondoggie
08-24-2004, 08:06
Good Day!

Like ronniejoe, I mounted mine in front of the drivers-side battery, heat sink forward, fins up-&-down. Wish me luck.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Low_Bridge
05-07-2005, 16:21
Well I'm going to update the 6.5 to quasi faithful. I've gone 6k plus miles & not a hickup, sneeze or fart!!

Thanks all

The Mrs really thanks you !! now of to the 6.2 forum with a tranny concern-

99gmccrew
05-07-2005, 20:13
I recently purchased a 74" extension from Heath.
Bought a 12 X 3.5" heatsink on e-bay for $6.00 and an brand new fsd on ebay for $180.00. Mounted it on the heat sink with some thermal compound under the front bumper.

When I get home from work (20 mile drive) the thing is cool to the touch and the truck is running fantastic. (knock on wood)

99gmc

DickWells
05-08-2005, 16:12
Please allow me to put in a penny's worth, to maybe save someone some grief.
If you mount your heat sink/FSD in front of the left-hand battery, don't forget to block off the gap at the right end of the battery, between it and the radiater support. That gap pumps a LOT of hot air across onto the heat sink. I waited for two years before I checked it out with any kind of formality, but when I did, I was shocked at the difference it made in how cool the FSD ran. Actually, I think I had ruined another FSD by not blocking it off when I mounted it there.
Also, FWIW, my home made extention harness worked just fine. Must have cost me less than $15, including the JB Weld that I potted the soldered connections with. Just use #16 wire, and keep your color codes, if you can.
Good luck.
Dick Wells

JeffsTowTruck
05-08-2005, 17:18
If you mount your heat sink/FSD in front of the left-hand battery, don't forget to block off the gap at the right end of the battery, between it and the radiater support. I'm going to have to go out tomorrow and look at this "gap". In frt. of the battery is this between the battery and the radiator support??
It is not outside air coming throught the grille? My FSD is mounted on the lt apron. It's been a year w/o any problems.
I had no problem unhooking the orginal wire. Just used a long flat screw driver and went down into the intake hole.
Just trying not to have any future problems!! :cool:

DickWells
05-10-2005, 17:49
Hi Jeff: Yup, it's the gap between the battery and the radiator support. I set out several times to drill the chromed grill member full of holes to let air in, but I never did. That chrome plasic is too expensive! Once I blocked off the gap, to keep hot air from coming accross, my FSD/heat-sink ran a lot cooler. You don't need to worry about that with your location. I just didn't want to risk water and salt corrosion by puting it out there.
I doubt if I'll ever go back to the electronic setup, but if I ever do, I'll go into the latest one that MP has been talking about. John Kennedy sticks to the electronic ones and seems to have a good way with them. It's the new wave, I guess, but I never have been an electronics guy.
Dick