PDA

View Full Version : water-wetter?

new-dieselman
03-24-2008, 17:49
Anybody know of this stuff? Should diesel users trying to keep things cooler be using it? I know it wouldn't replace doing cooling mods but every little bit helps right?

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2008, 17:52
Recommended for Navistar/Ford Diesels. Doesn't do anything for others. I've yet to see any proof to the contrary.

DennisG01
03-24-2008, 18:32
I don't have any hard facts to back this up, but I used some after hearing Bill Heath talk about it. The next time I towed the boat to the lake (and waited in line to put-in), I noticed the temp was reading a good 15 degrees lower than it normally does in that same situation. That made a believer out of me! Now, did it do anything while actually on the road? I don't know - it's so hard to tell with our systems as they fluctuate so much. But, it's pretty inexpensive and it certainly can't hurt.

new-dieselman
03-24-2008, 19:18
I guess that's my big concern. What type of weird chemicals are in this stuff and will it react with the rubber hoses or gaskets in a bad way over time.

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2008, 19:44
Water-Wetter should be compatible with all the components of the system.

It does what it does by breaking the surface tension of the coolant. Theoretically, it should do some of what it advertises. Any real benefit? Like I said, I haven't seen it. I would be more concerned with the chemical makeup interfering with the coolant, rather than the hard components. Ford/Navistar recommend it (and other SCA's) because they have issues with cylinder wall cavitation. GM Diesels don't have this issue. Bottom line, if it doesn't hurt, it won't hurt. Read the disclaimers and cautions, and if it doesn't conflict with your configuration, use it if you want. Any little bit of help is always welcome. Because I haven't seen a benefit doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Manufacturer's claims are what they are, and should be taken as such. If I were DennisG01, and saw what he saw, I'd continue using it. Until I had a reason not to.

GMC Hauler
03-25-2008, 18:21
I used it once after Bill Heath gave me a few bottles when I visited once. It will find any slight leaks that it can to leak out if there are any.

I saw no differences. I won't bother ever again.