PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler ID - just me?

G. Gearloose
04-26-2004, 04:23
What a project, took me two full days to do oil cooler lines and front brake lines.

I though the brake lines across the crossmember would be the worse part but turned out to be the easiest.

I wasted an hour prying out the front driveshaft, the splines rusted together despite greasing regularly, and couldn't compress it more than 3/8" Another 2 hours getting it apart, cleaning the splines. I had to pull it apart with two trucks.

Anybody else have to drill out the oil cooler to a full 1/2" get the hydrolic lines to fit? Luckily my lovely bride helped apply compressed air to one side while I drilled out the other, then vice versa.

I'm still spooked about missing some shavings in the cooler. Doesn't leak and engine hasn't fragged yet. Anyone else have to to do this?

Truenorth
04-28-2004, 04:17
Are these lines you got made or bought from a sponsor or the stealer?

G. Gearloose
04-28-2004, 12:45
Thanks, um, sponsor.. -
Thought if drilling was required somebody would have mentioned it over the years, so many have replaced the fittings with steel by now...

The problem was definately the cooler, not the lines.

HowieE
04-30-2004, 04:52
What did you have to drill? Were you tring to upsize an older cooler to 1/2?

HowieE
04-30-2004, 04:52
What did you have to drill? Were you tring to upsize an older cooler to 1/2?

G. Gearloose
04-30-2004, 05:54
Nope, this was the factory oil cooler on an early '96. I drilled the ID within the in/out female fittings on the cooler.

The fittings threads were correct for 1/2 inch, all the threads were right, but the tubing wouldn't go into the cooler, so no chance of the o-ring seating. the factory aluminum could, of course, but it must have been undersize 1/2" a scunch. but they were definately 1/2 lines, not 7/16. The theads matched, but couldn't gazinta.

The 1/2 drill took perhaps 2-3/64 of metal out, 5/8" or so deep. Luckily I had 1/2 drill stop on the bit so it didn't grab and take out the core!

cruzer
04-30-2004, 08:49
I thought the factory oil cooler inlet & outlet threads were metric?

LanduytG
04-30-2004, 11:08
I have had this come up one time. What you could of done is just shorten the pilot tube a bit.

Some 97's and later have metric. The 96 and down a SAE.

Howie did you get it all worked out?

Greg