PDA

View Full Version : Broke off #8 Glow Plug. What now?

atom_c
03-22-2008, 20:01
My first time replacing glowplugs and injectors. Truck has about 130,000 now. Broke off the old 9-g glowplug. I thought I was going to miss the spector of the "swollen" plug but it bit me. I sheared it off so that everything is left in the head. I got all the other glowplugs rest out fairly easy. (my biggish job just got bigger boohoo!)

Do I need to pull the head and drill it out? Any other options?

Thanks Adam

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2008, 20:18
Not to worry. Pull the injector. Plug the flash hole. Poke the GP tip back into the precup. Fish it, and any pieces that happen, out. Remove the flash hole plug. Install new glow plug. Install the injector. Done.

Sorry it had to be #8, though. The worst hole to have to do this. Do what you have to do, but you may save a lot of grief (and knuckle hide) by removing the turbo heat shield first. And the turbo if you are well practiced.

atom_c
03-22-2008, 21:30
Might not be that easy. I don't just have the glowplug tip in there it is the whole thing, threads and all. It didn't break loose at all. It broke off right at the outside surface of the head. It seems that the only way to get it out would be to drill it, but that would leave all manner of chunks in there.

Thanks for any help.
Adam

redbird2
03-22-2008, 21:42
Let me understand this correctly, when you went to remove the glow plug it snapped off and never moved. if this is correct you have a few options a) remove the head and drill out have done this many times normal only if more than one breaks off or it breaks off half way out.
b) simply run the truck with only 7 glow plugs it goes against most lines of thinking how ever will save you great deal of time and some money.

yes i have done this ran them on 7 or as little as 6 on a rare occasion

good luck use your best judgment its your money

atom_c
03-22-2008, 21:56
Yes, it broke off clean as anything and never budged. (I had dosed it with penetrating oil and I was trying to be careful!)

I was thinking I might just finish replacing the injectors on that side and put it all back together. I have a big hunk of time off over the summer and was considering doing the cooling upgrade/ timing chain or gear/ and harmonic dampner. Maybe I could pull the head and drill out the plug when I have things torn apart anyway.

Thanks
Adam

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2008, 22:23
You're right. Not that easy. Well, if you break one off, now you know what to do.

Your problem is not a "swelled" plug. When they swell, only the tips get stuck, and the plug tip breaks off after you thread it out.

You have a couple options. Drill, and EZ-Out. Do the same as I described above BEFORE you start, to prevent any pieces from getting into the cylinder. The precup will catch all the pieces, if the hole is plugged. You can suck/blow/magnet what's left in the precup.

You can weld a nut onto the remaining GP. Takes a knack, but can be done. Place a steel nut over the glow plug hole and hit it with a small stick or wire feed. If you are hot enough, and quick, it won't stick to the cast head if you miss. Best if you can have a pro do it.

Lastly, you can drill, tap, and Heli-coil. Follow the steps for the EZ-Out. Usually, this is what happens when the EZ-Out fails.

Or (this is what I'd do), take Redbird's advice and leave that hole alone and run with 7 good plugs. You will probably never miss it. And....you don't have to remove the turbo or anything!

In any case, head removal would only be necessary if you break an EZ-Out, in the hole. I did this just this afternoon on another project. Broke a bolt on a motorcycle shift lever. Not fun.

xtrempickup
03-23-2008, 05:51
running 7 of 8 good glow plugs doesnt hurt anything, i did that all last winter, i couldnt get at the last one without removing the downpipe so i didnt. 7 or 8 new, never started soo nice

atom_c
03-23-2008, 06:07
Thanks for the advice. I am not clear on "plugging the flash hole." Do I get to that through the injector hole? Is that to keep pieces from dropping into the cylinder? What should I plug it with?

I was able to move the down pipe over enough to get #6 glowplug out. (Aren't cylinders on the passenger side 2-4-6-8?) It was tough to get the wire off the glowplugs #4 and #6. The wires seemed to be rusted/baked on.

I think for today I will finish the injectors and get it running. If it is still nagging at my mind this summer maybe I will try drilling #8 glow plug out.

Thanks,
Adam

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2008, 11:55
The flash hole is the hole in the precup. And, yes, plugging it will prevent debris from falling into the cylinder. Use your imagination for a plug. Anything that will stop up the hole (and is removable later) will work. I've used rolled up rubber (like from an inner tube), latex glove, cardboard, tissue, cloth among other things (I've done a few of these). Function is simple, but use something that won't be too damaging if it does get pushed into the cylinder. If something falls in, you won't be able to get it out, because the hole is not straight, it angles sharply from the edge of the cylinder toward the center.

Yes. 2-4-6-8 are on the passenger side, 2 is the front.

Turbo removal is not required, but isn't hard to do. The time in the end would be about the same, but removal allows for a clean job, with all angles in view. Be sure to soak the studs/nuts with PB Blaster or WD 40 a few hours before, and they shouldn't cause issues. Go slow with them, and they shouldn't seize.

With the injector out, you will be able to check the end of the broken glow plug. If it is intact and tight, don't lose any sleep over it. If it wiggles, then it is broken and needs to be removed before it removes itself. You can go through the removal procedure, or break it off and leave the hole plugged with the broken GP. It just isn't worth worrying over one glow plug. Perhaps if you had to do winter starts in the great white north, but you're not.

More Power
03-24-2008, 14:10
When you get serious for fixing the problem, I'd recommend removing the wheel-house and front tire/wheel. This'll give you good access to #8.

Jim

atom_c
03-24-2008, 15:09
Thanks,

I did take off the wheel housing to do the plugs and injectors. It does give great access to #8 glowplug. I do wish I had been a bit more patient with that plug! For now I am just going to go with 7 of 8 plugs.

Thanks again for everyones advice on this great forum!

Adam