PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 diesels new minor proplem...

Rytari
03-22-2008, 13:46
ok...

firts of all.. some time ago i had this hard to start when hot thingy.. and i started to change IP.. firts i got bad one... then i send my old to repair but it was too worn out... had to change all from inside... so i ordered a reman pump from US. prze there for reman is 1/4th of repaired price here) i took couple weeks to get pump here and after all the truck waited almost 2 months outside for working IP..

so i got new pump in its place, took GP:s out and started 3 times some 10 seconds.. i got fuel coming from injector lines, so glows back and start... and it runs... i stopped the engine and tightened two loose injector pipes that i had. new start and starter did not turn engine --> starters passenger side "bolt hole" area craked off the block :)

so i weld some new material and made new hole and thread (sounds easy :) )

i also made strong front support to starter but nextkey turning and aluminiun end of the starter went to pieces...

finaly i got it started and running again.. but now every time i start, it runs roughly and tons of smoke around... gear on and i drive some meters and smoking stops and it starts to run better.. after some time idling it starts smoking little again... white smoke, like there would be air in fuel.. but...

but my biggest worries are smoke coming from breather (not so much blow by... dont even feel air movement to my hand when oil fill cap is open) and noise from intake... a sort of BLOp Blop BLOP BLOP coming from there... i think valve something or? what you think...

sometimes noise dissapears and i got massive low rpm torq (burns 35" tires only whit touch of pedal :) ) but when i increase rpm noise comes back and there goes the power... it takes rpm.. faster than ever before, but when driving, it just.... just.. nothing much happens really... 55mph is all i got and acceleration is POOR...

john8662
03-24-2008, 07:29
Too much fun I should say...

Not sure what the noise in the intake is, but if it was a non-operational intake valve due to a valvetrain issue (usually rocker arm buttom broken) then you'd get a popping sound in the intake, maybe a BLOP.

For the smoke in the intake this could be due to the fact that the engine is smoking a lot of white and you have a leaking intake manifold gasket. The smoke could very well be coming from the EGR port in the head and just leaking around the gasket.

Another source of noise in the intake could just be the EGR valve opening (If EGR truck) and you're hearing the exhaust pulse noise in the intake. I'm assuming with air cleaner off you're hearing this right?

White smoke when cold, this is probably timing, try advancing the timing and see what kind of results you get.

P.S. Please fill out your "Signature" with your Truck's information, year, Model (C10 K10 etc), cuz that helps with troubleshooting :)

Rytari
03-24-2008, 08:15
now i made some signature...

engine is a collection series... at the beginning it is year 82 engine, just heads been changed to newer, 91 heavy duty pick-up is the donor for those... and new pump now is now adjusted for this 91 hd.

it has no egr.. it wont have even crd valve to intake anymore, 2 years ago i change all lifters and heads are fitted with new valves etc.

and for the noise.. popping sounds good word, but i dont have to take air filter out to be able to hear it.. i can hear it even inside my house when truck is idling outside.

white smoke stops when i drive some distance, but comes little back after some time when engine running wihtout a load.

john8662
03-24-2008, 11:41
Before tearing too much apart, something else comes to mind since you're doing the IP R'Ring.

Verify that your injection lines are indeed in the correct order to the appropriate cylinder. There are two lines that can be crossed and cause the issues that you're describing.

So at the minumum, look carefully and trace the lines, or pull the intake and trace the lines carefully and double-check that the lines are going to the right places.

A crossed line will give you a knocking sound, and white smoke.

J

Rytari
03-24-2008, 17:15
oops.. rather good advise.. ill look that first in the morning...

Rytari
03-25-2008, 12:07
i took intake manifold out and look.. all the injector pipes are like they should be... i think i must look all the injectors also.. if one month waiting has done something to those...

what is opening pressure for those 6.2 injectors...

Rytari
03-27-2008, 10:58
today i finaly got it running properly, it ran better than i never before... for an hour or so.. i did manage to drive good test run before something got into pieces inside engine...now its not anything like popping, its like grinding and hammering job been done inside. should i laught or...?