PDA

View Full Version : Help checking compression

Thor
03-21-2008, 10:41
I have a 94 6.5 TD that is starting to develop some blow by through dipstick and pass side valve cover. I need to know what psi I should have per cylinder, and how long do I crank the engine to get a good reading. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-21-2008, 11:07
About 300+ PSI, and all cylinders should be within about 10% of each other. NEVER try this with "wet" cylinders (added oil), like some may do on a gasser. This must be done when the engine is up to operating temp (gloves recommended), or you will not get an accurate test. 6 puffs (compression strokes) per cylinder. Remove all the glow plugs first, and make sure your batteries are fully charged throughout the process. Consistent cranking speed is important.

Turbo Al
03-23-2008, 11:19
How old is your CDR? (Crank Depression Regulator) on pass side valve cover. An old or malfuntioning one will cause these syptons as well.
Al

Thor
03-23-2008, 18:43
It is very old, probably the original. I did a compression check on the drivers side and have a cylinder that goes up to 360psi, but falls to 0 psi in about 10 seconds, any ideas of what this might be? It looks like I'm going to go in the injector holes on the pass side. I also appear to have coolant residue in the filler cap. Unsure where to start. Thanks

Turbo Al
03-27-2008, 17:08
My compression tester holds the reading untill you release it so if yours is suppose to do the same then the little valve in the tester needs to be replaced.

rustyk
03-27-2008, 19:49
Coolant residue in the (oil) filler cap is a sure sign of a blown head gasket. Time to break out the wrenches...:(

And ethylene glycol in the crankcase will turn that into something resembling a third-world coal mine if not addressed immediately.

Coolant in the lube oil will resemble mayonnaise in color and consistency.