PDA

View Full Version : HEATH Turbo Master and Max-E-Tork installed tonight

Jochen Woern
03-20-2008, 21:07
I finally got around to order my HEATH Performance upgrades (Turbo Master and Max-E-Tork PCM) which I received today and installed tonight.

So far I can say that it is awesome, the truck performs much better and I can now slightly spin the rear tires. Boost has dramatically improved from about 5-6 psi to 10 psi. I will adjust the spring a bit more tomorrow to run approx. at 12 psi.

Thanks very much Bill Heath and Ian Carver at HEATH Diesel Performance for all your help and excellent service. I sure hope that I will notice the improvement while towing my trailer as well.

Myself, I can only recommend the items as listed, installation was a breeze with no issues at all.

Mark Rinker
03-21-2008, 06:44
Nice rig. I remember distinctly the first acceleration with the Heath chip and the Turbo-Master set at 12# max. What a difference!

Q: What boost do you plan to run at 1800rpm, loaded cruise speed? Don't be fooled into dialing in more and more boost as you watch EGTs drop. Most agree here that 8-10# nominal and 12-14# max transient peaks are about right for the 6.5L. (I ran 12-14# nominal boost at 1800rpm cruise loaded and started using oil - backed it down to 8-10# nominal and the problem went away.)

GM-4 or GM-8 turbo?

I didn't see any mods to the cooling system. Do you have a heavy duty fan clutch? IIRC the HO pumps and dual thermostats were already in place by '96. Also, higher boost rates, cylinder pressures and increased temperatures need good oil and attention to clean filters, operational CDR valve, etc.

The 6.5s are great to modify!

Jochen Woern
03-21-2008, 11:42
Hi Mark, how are you?

Thanks for the compliment on my Sub.

I am planning on running 8-10# nominal and 12-14# max transient peaks as you mentioned.

I have a BORG WARNER/IHI Spec. GM-5 Turbo

At this time I have no mods done to the cooling system, I have the HO pumps and dual thermostats and was going to see where it will take me. I cleaned my radiator for the first time thoroughly last season (before towing) and already noticed a big difference. I was towing stock last season and it was a joke, going uphill at about 25mph, being passed by semi trucks all the way.

All the upgrades on my truck as noted in my signature below took place during the late fall/winter/ early spring days and I have yet to tow my trailer with the mods. I hope I will see a big difference now and that the rig will be going uphill a bit faster.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thanks in advance.

Robyn
03-21-2008, 20:11
Glad things are working well.

Mark
My DaHoooley will suck some oil if the big trailer is being towed on serious grades and the Boot getts a bit too heavy.

What mine is doing is blowing it over the top and sucking it into the turbo.

I have the TM set to a max of 12 under absolute hard throttle with a load.

Cruising will see about 5-6 PSI

Jochen

With the max boost at 10-12 you will be safe as long as you keep an eye on the Pyro when your working it hard.
Just remember, dont run it in the "Crispy Zone" (Above 1000F)

Best

Robyn

new-dieselman
03-24-2008, 20:10
I was wondering about why your using both. I thought i read on Heaths site that his max-e-torque pcm also raised boost to recomended levels so that you don't need the turbo master? I'm i mis-informed? Thanks for you input.

16gaSxS
03-25-2008, 08:51
I was wondering about why your using both. I thought i read on Heaths site that his max-e-torque pcm also raised boost to recomended levels so that you don't need the turbo master? I'm i mis-informed? Thanks for you input.

Ok here is the deal. The waste gate controller is controlled by vacuum from a vacuum pump. he lines too the controller are these itty bitty plastic POS lines that break and I could not get from the dealer. The pump fails and the controller fail. Turbo Master about the cost of a vacuum controller and never fails.....priceless. Then guess what you don't need a dumb vacuum pump sucking power off your 6.5 so now it can be trashed:D use a 1993 belt one inch shorter than 1995 belt. Less stuff to fail!!! :D

PS; and you can adjust boost with the turn of a nut.

Jochen Woern
03-25-2008, 11:35
So are we saying that it will be better for the engine once the vaccum pump is removed? Right now, I still have mine installed and have the vaccum line plugged with the little plastic ball that HEATH provides in his Turbo Master installation kit. I can tell a huge difference while driving the truck now.

Will it improve even further if the vaccum pump is removed?

What are the advantages (other then possible failure) of removing the pump and installing the shorter belt?

Kenneth
03-25-2008, 12:15
I installed the turbomaster from Heath Diesel last summer. I ran the truck with the pump until the belt needed to be replaced (a couple of months later). When I removed the pump and installed the smaller belt I did not notice any changes. The truck ran the same. I don't think it's necessary to remove the pump until the belt needs to be replaced. That is what they told me at Heath, is to wait until the belt needed to be replaced, then pull the pump.

GMC Hauler
03-25-2008, 18:04
So are we saying that it will be better for the engine once the vaccum pump is removed? Right now, I still have mine installed and have the vaccum line plugged with the little plastic ball that HEATH provides in his Turbo Master installation kit. I can tell a huge difference while driving the truck now.

Will it improve even further if the vaccum pump is removed?

What are the advantages (other then possible failure) of removing the pump and installing the shorter belt?

This is a heated argument based on who you ask.

The advantage of the vacuum pump operated system is that the system is more precise, and accounts for changes in altitude.

The mechanical is more reliable. You will not gain any noticeable power from removing the vacuum pump. The system is more reliable with the vacuum pump removed.

This is your choice. Which quallity do you hold more dear to your heart? Then choose...

I left my vacuum system on the Sub until it started making noise. Then I removed it totally. Vacuum pumps have been know to fail and send your belt flying. Very inconvenient when you are away from home.

I chose mechanical controls. Just my .02

winemaker
03-26-2008, 09:09

I just received my turbo master, max-e-tork, and exhaust with crossover from Heath yesterday and I'm looking forward to installing this weekend.
To answer your question, I believe I read that the programming on the max-e-tork is not designed to function properly (or perhaps optimally) with the vac system.

Have fun with your goodies.
Brett

CedarGrove
03-26-2008, 14:22
I'm curious about mpg with this set up...Better, worse, the same? I know it's probably harder to keep the foot out of it set up like this but...

Can Heath or Kennedy program for economy? I have all the power I need for the stuff I'm doing. I'd like 3+ more mpg.