PDA

View Full Version : 03 Glow Plugs Shot

ross1147
03-20-2008, 19:33
I became a proud owner of an 03 2500 Duramax a year ago. Before I bought it, the dealer told me they had replaced a glow plug the week before b/c the engine light was on (found out today they had the right side replaced). 3 weeks ago the engine light came on. Took it to Autozone and had the code read. They machine showed 2 glow plugs out. I forgot to ask which cylinders were out but now I think I can narrow it down to the left side. Anyway, I saw the post on this site concerning the additional protection so I decided to call GM and ask if I was convered. They told me yes, gave me a case #, and told me to set up an appointment with a dealer.

Today I took it in to a dealer and they told me they don't think my vehicle is covered because it is not CA emissions. I told them what GM told me and gave them the case number so they said they would look into it. When I got home I started thinking and I don't think it will be covered becuase I bought the truck in New Hampshire. Tomorrow they will call me and either tell me to come pick up the truck untouched, or by some chance of God they will tell me it is covered.

My question here is how hard would it be to change them myself? I don't really have the money to get it fixed. I am no stranger to machines and grew up working on plenty, just not the Duramax. My father is the head mechanic for a ranch in Northern Cali; the problem is he doesn't know much about the Duramax either (Cummins lover, has 2!). A few year back I helped him change the glow plugs on a old 89 Scottsdale 6.2. That engine looks nothing like this one. Does anyone think this is a horrible idea??? I poped the hood the other day (it was dark but I had a head lamp) and couldn't see anything that looked like a glow plug. Where are the located when looking down on the engine? Are they close to the injectors somewhere?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-20-2008, 20:18
Changing GP's on the Duramax is easier than spark plugs on any gasser (except maybe your lawnmower). Remove the power lead, thread the plug out with a deep socket. Repeat in reverse for the install. Removal of the wheel and fender liner makes it a lot more accessible, but not required.

OC_DMAX
03-22-2008, 08:08
I missed your PM message from several weeks ago (sorry about that, did not know this forum had that feature). Look in the glovebox for the build sticker that has the RPO codes listed.

YF5 is for the CA emissions
FE9 is Federal emissions
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)
VGL - not sure about this one, but it is covered by the special policy.

If you find FE9, then you are not covered, since you have Federal emissions.

The other option is to look on your truck for a CAT (attached to the exhaust, next to the transmission), and EGR valve / exhaust cooler assembly on the passengers side of the engine valley, or a vacuum pump ( passenger side, front of engine, towards the bottom).

Another thing to look for is to see if the power leads going to the Glowplugs are "bussed" together or there is a separate wire going to each. The CA emissions package has individual wires going to each glowplug and then back to the controller. Not sure why the difference, maybe related to an ability to better fault isolate a failed glowplug (just a guess). The Fed emission design is "bussed" together (at least that is my understanding).

If you decide to change the Glowplugs, just be careful. There have been cases where they have snapped off in the cylinder head (dissimilar metals ? aluminum/steel). The replacement job just grew substantially if this happens (remove head, etc). Also, be careful when removing the nut that attaches the power lead to the glowplug. There are cases where corrosion between the stud and nut cause this part to snap off also. Go easy if things don't immediately loosen.

With regard to location, look directly above the exhaust manifolds.

ross1147
03-23-2008, 16:13
Thanks a lot for the info OC and Dmax. I got to looking on Saturday and I found them. I'll take it easy when I pull them out. Thanks.

Ryan