PDA

View Full Version : Truck is getting a bit tired.....

RT
03-20-2008, 19:17
Hello All,
My 93 Chevy is getting a bit tired. The clock just hit 252K, the paint is tired, the engine needs lifters at a minimum but likely could use some other new parts as well. The possible "to do" list can get quite long. The truck is basically rust free so I think it may be worth putting the money into. My initial plan is to complete some or all of the list below:

1. Tear into engine and replace lifters and replace rockers with the rebuilt versions w/stainless rivets, not plastic clips.

2. Engine is on original IP. Thinking of getting that rebuilt while the engine is down.

3 Replace injectors at the same time. Currently running cheap Ebay rebuilds.

4. Upgrade cooling system to double t-stat setup. The truck has NEVER run hot with the single stat however, maybe this is the time?

5. Paint the truck. I can get ALL the paint supplies for FREE. A buddy owes me a favor so materials are paid for. The labor I will pay for another friend owns a bodyshop and will do a nice job, bed off, etc.

What say the mob? I have trouble justifying putting this much money into an older truck however the cost of new or even used is much, much more. I have a 1/2 ton gasser to get me to work in the meantime and will have more time to get into the project once the boat is launched. I think I can do it over the summer. Whadda ya say? Thanks, RT

Jochen Woern
03-20-2008, 21:25
With all the connections you seem to have, I say go for it. New trucks are way to expensive and if you like yours, there is the answer.

JohnC
03-21-2008, 13:40
Get the radiator flushed but skip the dual thermostats. My theory is that without the added load of the transmission cooler, there is no overheat problem, at least under normal power levels.

I can't believe you are on the original pump. Replace it.

Otherwise, all I can say is I miss my '93 5 speed...

Beedee
03-21-2008, 17:07
I keep thinking that I should buy a newer truck. Then I see the prices and.......
For now, I'm sticking with my old girl. It does everything that I need, its paid for, I just dumped 5K into it to repair the body after I got T-boned and what the hell, I like my truck.
A friend of mine said this to me one time (we are both mechanics)
"If the frame and body are ok, we can fix the rest." Lot of truth there.
If you can do most of the work yourself, or work on the barter system, it's worth it to keep the old girl. If you have to pay someone else, then you really have to weigh out the pros and cons of keeping an older truck. I would definitely get the rad flushed or with the amount of miles on the truck, look at a replacement
Of course, if you want to be one of those guys driving a newer chev with a DuraMax under the hood, I would understand ;)

Brian

PS. I'm tired too, hope my wife doesn't want to replace me!!!! :(

Robyn
03-22-2008, 07:22
Well I will give you some info based on my own experience with a 94 that had about 238 on it when it started needing some help.

Replacing the lifters is a bitch without getting the heads off. (Doable but nasty)
At the miles you are talking the head gaskets are most likely at the end of their life span.
The timing chain is going to be stretched out some and causing a power loss.

The soft plugs are going to be close to leaking from corrosion as will the block heater.

The bearings although possibly having some miles left are going to be tired.

I would yank the little creature out and steam it off and get it on a stand and have a serious look at it.

The cylinders will most likely have very little wear if the little beast has seen reasonable care along the way.

A light hone, rings, bearing shells, lifters, timing chain (sprockets are normally fine) , fresh oil pump, soft plugs and block heater.
Rocker buttons (Or as you mentioned)
***Be sure the copper colored end of the push rod goes to the rocker***

New seals and gaskets Of course.
Check the crank and polish the journals.
Check the center main webs in the block for cracks
Be sure the cam lobes are in good order. Some slight marks from the rollers is normal but does not hurt anything.

You can easily replace the soft plugs and flush the block very well while its on a stand too.

I dont see any reason to hot tank just a good suds and steam clean everything and blow dry.

Check the cam bearings and the matching journals. ( always use blue loctite on the cam retainer plate fasteners as well as the cam end bolt.

The heads can be checked over and if they are not showing nasty cracks between the valves or any fire deck cracks possibly just a lap job and some new seals up top may give them more life.
Personally I would replace the heads at this amount of miles BUTTTT head choices are a subject all their own.

If the deck on the block shows more than just shadows where the fire ring on the gasket has been a light decking may be in order. (Max .010 and used the thicker felpro gasket)

The IP should take a trip to the spa and get freshened. You can pull the turbo apart and clean the years of crud from the housing and wash out the bearing bore (Bronze bushing) check the little ring oil seals. As you mentioned a fresh set of squirts is in order and do check the glow plugs.

This may seem like a lot of work but really it goes fairly fast and will end up giving you a good long life out of the engine.

My 94 got this very treatment and has been running as new since I did it.
The mileage is about 16 town and has seen 21 Hwy ( 2500 Burb 4x4).

Doing only a little to an engine with this amount of miles is probably going to leave you looking at more work very soon.

After 200K I get very nervous about the head gaskets especially on the early engines (92-95) later engines saw improved gaskets.

Only use felpro head gaskets with the reinforced water jacket areas (end cylinders)

OH BTW number the rods and caps if you tear it down,as the factory does not do it. (Older engines had the cyl number stamped on the part line these dont)

My complete OH on the 94 was about $1800 and this included a fresh set of heads ( aftermarket)

OH yesssss the head bolts are a one time use item and need to be tossed after they have been used. This is a parts store item. (NAPA or ???????)

Have fun and best of luck

Just my thoughts

Robyn

RT
03-22-2008, 17:01
Thanks for all the replies thus far:
The turbo was a new unit, only 30K on it now. I installed a DSG gear drive when I bought the truck at 118K, I assume its still good. I was thinking a teardown and check with stud kit, girdle, new gaskets, etc. I'll have to think about it. RT