PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil cooler lines

enforcer233
03-18-2008, 18:17
About two weeks ago I noticed a few oil spots in the drive where I park my 97 2500, 4X4 Suburban with a 6.5. Yesterday I started to change the oil and as I climbed under the Sub I saw oil caked on the frame cross member where the skid plate/gravel guard bolts on. I took the plate loose and found that the oil cooler lines were leaking at the compression fitting between the hose and the metal lines to the cooler. I have searched the posts and found that I have several options.

1. Use high grade u clamps on the compression fittings to stop the leak.
2. remove the lines and take them to NAPA and ask them to make new ones using Stainless braided PTFE hose.
3. Buy OEM lines, not recommended by many of you.
4. Buy after market lines from some of the vendors mentions in the threads

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Since I have not done this before I need to ask; how much oil will I loose when I take the lines off the engine and cooler? I hate to loose too much of the +/- $50.00 dollars of Mobil 1 synthetic oil I just put in.

THANKS

Robyn
03-18-2008, 19:01
If the little clamps dont stop the drips then the quickest and cheapest way is to order a set of factory lines and stuff them back in the truck.
I have a 94 Burb with 260K on the factory lines now and no leaks.
The 95 DaHooooley leaks and makes a mess with 180 on the clock.
I have a set of factory lines for it though as I dont want to change the cooler.

The cooler kits with the stainless lines and new fittings and a new cooler are very nice but spendy $$$$:eek:

You can choose the option that best suits your wallet.

If the leak is just the crimp area and the hose is otherwise OK the clamps are not a bad bandaid for the little $$$ they cost.

Later

Robyn

DennisG01
03-18-2008, 20:11
As long as you drain the oil into a clean container, you could put it right back in when you're done. Clean the pan and drain bolt before you pull the bolt.

Nobby
03-19-2008, 09:09
Attached is a picture of my stock oil cooler and upgraded oil cooler lines using Parker adapters. It can also be seen in the picture that the left hand side has a flare T to allow for addition of a bypass filter.

Adapter is M27 x 2.0 straight thread with viton O-ring to 1/2" NPT, Parker part# 222P-8-M127

Oh yeah I should also add that the adapters are longer that the female fitting in the oil cooler so you will need to cut off a small amount from the end to allow it to engage fully and create a good seal with the O-Ring. Hose was then run using the usual aftermarket stainless braid teflon hose.

This is for a truck with the 5/8" lines which for a 97 yours will have. As I understand it early trucks had a smaller hose size 1/2" and I suspect the cooler threads are different probably imperial.

cheers
Nobby

enforcer233
03-21-2008, 05:24
I have not had the opportunity to get back under the truck yet because of work but I think that I am going to give the lines a good cleaning and verify my initial thought that they are leaking at the compression fitting. If they are I am going to try the clamps first then watch it to see what happens before I decide to replace the lines. In the meantime every time I am in the vehicle I find myself looking at the oil pressure guage every second or two.

Thanks as always for the advise and help.