PDA

View Full Version : TIRE SIZE

Scooby
04-25-2004, 18:29
My 1996 c1500 has 30 x 9.50 x 15 tires on it. They were on it when I bought it last November. They are in excellent condition. Trouble is, if the truck sees something that even looks like soft dirt, or sugar sand (i live in FLorida), it'll bury itself in no time. I weighed the truck last week- 5100 lbs. I think the tires are too narrow to properly support that much weight on softer ground. Luckily, I have had only one incident rather late one night in the middle of an orange grove, (where I shouldnt have been), in which I stuck it and had to go home and get my toy truck on 18.5 x 44's to go pull it out. I need this truck to get good mileage, so I dont want to go huge on tires. Right now I pull a 12' trailer with my 4 wheelers on it, and on loose dirt roads i feel the front end digging in way too much.
Does anyone have dimensions on the tires you are running, and how they do on unpaved surfaces?? I dont know what was originally on this truck- I remember it is stated in the P??? system, but I dont know dimensions. I was looking at some 31 x 10.50 's on my friends truck, but I think he might notice if I swap tires while he isnt looking !!

MTTwister
04-25-2004, 18:46
Scooby - whoa - I remember getting my Sunbeam stuck a few times 'off road' until I got radials ( Eglin AFB - '68 -'69)

The 2500's are running 245/75/16's OEM - don't know about 1500's, but I do remember, the bigger the footprint the better!.

( aside - Tranny temp in "test port" - 160