PDA

View Full Version : Need a little glow plug help

dieselnate
03-13-2008, 19:37
I have search the forum and am having a hard time finding info on the 82-84 glow plug system. Have found lots of good info here but I assume this system wasn't that great so people have started to change them out instead of fixing them. I am getting the books on this site but just thought I would ask.
I just put a 1982 6.2 diesel into my 1983 4x4 blazer. When the motor was in the other truck the glow plugs would cycle on before start, then continue to cycle on and off. The only problem was they never stopped, even when the engine was at operating temp (160-180 F).
I am trying to keep this system if I can get it to work.

Is it the inhibit switch on the passenger head that stops the system from cycling after it warms up or the is it the actual controller on the drivers side head that does this?
Also, does anyone know a way to extend the glow time with these old controllers? I installed 60g glow plugs due to the 11g's tips swelling and being a pain to get out. The first time the glow plugs cycle on they only stay on for 6 seconds, need like 10 to fully heat the 60g's. I have considered a manual switch but I like things to stay automatic if possible.

Appreciate any help.
Nate

burnoil
03-13-2008, 23:02
Is it the inhibit switch on the passenger head that stops the system from cycling after it warms up or the is it the actual controller on the drivers side head that does this? According to the factory manual, it states that this condition should be caused by an open in the wire from the alternator warning lamp to terminal 1 of the controller
Also, does anyone know a way to extend the glow time with these old controllers? I installed 60g glow plugs due to the 11g's tips swelling and being a pain to get out. The first time the glow plugs cycle on they only stay on for 6 seconds, need like 10 to fully heat the 60g's. I have considered a manual switch but I like things to stay automatic if possible.I do not believe that there is any way to extend glow time unless maybe a strategically placed resistor could do it, but I would not know where to put it.

I just went through a complete system checkout on my '84 K30 due to inconsistent glow plug operation. I got lucky and found that I only needed a relay to get it tip top again. I can now honestly say that this is definitely a goofy system. With what you have and what you are trying to do, (and keeping in mind the general reliability-or lack thereof) I think I would go with a manual switch and be done with it.

Hope it helps.

veager
03-24-2008, 10:10
I had the same problems, even tried new controller(waste of money that was)
went to manual switch, starts better than ever.
If you decide to go that way you should add a light or buzzer to remind you they are on,
A timer could also work