PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear engine seals

steve cummins
03-12-2008, 11:54
We are putting a front seal and a rear main seal in a 1998 Gmc Bus with a 6.5L engine. Are there torque specs and or special tools required in performing this repair?

More Power
03-16-2008, 00:20
The flywheel or flexplate and harmonic damper need to come off. The fly/flex bolts are torqued at 65 ft-lbs. The damper bolt is torqued at 200... :)

Jim

trbankii
05-29-2008, 13:59
Any suggestions on putting in the rear main seal? The manual shows the special GM tool, but is there any other advice? Just tap it in carefully? I've been looking around the shop for something of the general diameter to use on it...

Hubert
05-29-2008, 15:12
I borrowed one of those special GM tools. Neat little bolt on press that makes the job really easy and almost foolproof. I found a friendly chevy dealer shop manager to let me borrow it (easier now not many 6.5 being worked on at dealer). The technician who went in back to help me find it said he never used it. Just tapped it in real gently and evenly as possible with a small hammer.

I guess clean and lubed up it would tap in ok. I just don't have that much experience and did not want to screw it up (and I found the tool).