PDA

View Full Version : Project Advice: Used Engines, and other such Madness

FEF
03-11-2008, 10:48
All,

I admit, I may have gone off the deep end. I picked up a x599 engine the other day. This leads me to a few questions.

The 599 engine has a cast stamp of C233, I think. I know it ends in "3", though. That tells us it's a '93 block, if I have it right. It's in a crate like thing, so I couldn't run it. For that reason, I got it for a fair price.

The story goes... When his grandpa's '84 C-20 had crank issues, about 60,000 miles ago, the shop put in the 6.5L. The butt kicker is that it's been in a crate like frame where it's supported from the rear bellhousing, and in a cradle that holds the harmonic balancer. The balancer has been holding up 1/2 the engine's weight for about 3-4 months. I wouldn't think twice about it, if it was another kind of engine, but the 6.2/6.5 bottom end has me a bit jittery.

Do I dare use the crank?

If yes, then I guess I could do a compression test, look for hone marks, and a few other tests. If the general condition is good, then I'd put ARP studs on it, and throw it in the motorhome. I could use a sanity check, but that sounds like a decent plan.

If the answer is no, then I guess I'll pull the '82 block (out of the $500 truck) and put the 6.5 top end on it. It's more work, but I may end up with a better engine for the long run.

I'm really torn. Both options appear to be fairly good (assuming the gurus think the crank would be OK).

Thanks for the help

More Power
03-21-2008, 10:36
The crankshaft would be OK after supporting the engine weight for some months, but I'd look really carefully at the harmonic damper. It might be possible that the rubber in the damper could be affected by this.

Good luck.

JIm