PDA

View Full Version : 55mph costs money

qinlet
03-10-2008, 07:40
Any suggestions. I have a 02 duramax pulling a 5thwheel camper 12m and go through the fair state of Illinois quite a it and hate beign limited to 55mph because then I have to run in 4th gear at 2200rpm and gas mileage does a nose dive. I cant drive in 5th gear since that makes the engine lug and sound terrible. Of course the Illinois license trucks pulling large cargo and equipment trailers just go flying by and never seem to get stopped. being from out of state I cant afford to come back to fight a speeding ticket. Does anyone produce a gearsplitter for the Allison tranny. the area between 55 and 65 is no mans land for pulling a heavy trailer. Thanks

Mountainman
03-10-2008, 09:42
Gear splitters cost money, also! You and that truck will both be worn out if and when you reach the "break even" point, even at today and tomorrows fuel prices!

Kennedy
03-10-2008, 10:52
I run 60-62mph in 55mph postings. I can tow most anything I want at these speeds. With my 07 I'm able to run 6th gear much of teh time also.

I'd suggest looking for a bit of a tune to help performance.

DmaxMaverick
03-10-2008, 11:02
Drive the speed limit or risk a violation. Simple as that. You could contact the Illinois State Attorney General and complain, but he will tell you the same thing. Or move to Illinois and license your truck there (don't complain when you get a ticket). Illinois isn't the only state with restrictions for trailers, etc. CA has the same speed law, and they stop everyone, equally. Still, most drive at 65+. I frequently tow at near GCWR at 55 MPH in OD (I don't speed), and I have 33" tires. There are ways to get into and stay in OD w/o passing 60 MPH. If your truck sounds terrible and lugs at 55 on fairly flat highways, you have issues with the truck. It should purr right along. Mine is at 1500 RPM's at 55.

Turbo Al
03-10-2008, 11:45
I must say I agree with DmaxMaverick 100% drive the speed limit. I work for a towing Co and even at posted speed limits a lot of people have NOT got control of there rigs and end up in putting someone in the ground -- the last one I attended was a fatality.

A little work on engine starting with fuel filter, syn oil etc.

Al

mr. monte
03-10-2008, 12:08
I get my best fuel economy at 55 mph, pulling 9-10,000#'s, purring like a kitten

rob from bc canada
03-10-2008, 13:19
Engine should run smoothly from no more than 1500 or under heavy load maybe 1700 on up. If not, check injector balance, etc.

Really strange idea, if it bothers you enough - try smaller tires - that will get your RPM's up a bit.

Jake99Z71
03-10-2008, 14:04
I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over doing 60-62mph. I travel into IL every day and see everyone traveling 65-70mph. The cops aren't going to single you out unless you are doing something really stupid. They are going to go after a 18 wheeler first.