PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter Woes

markelectric
03-08-2008, 19:45
I have had a start /die problem on and off for a few weeks. In the midst of a 1400 mile trip I noticed a leak at the bottom of the fuel filter. I went to get a new filter in a blizzard to attempt to get home. Found a filter at a Auto Zone. Upon opening the box I see no valve at the bottom of the filter. I assumed that this is reused. I was told that this is a dealer only item.

Upon finally getting home, I thought I would do some research on "The Page". I read on here about unhooking the wires from that. I have no wires on mine. As many times as I was messing with it on this trip, I think I would have noticed some hanging there. Are there any filters made that don't reuse this piece of plastic crap? Are all the 01 trucks supposed to have this sensor lead?

I thought changing the fuel filters on my Dodge's was a pain in the a$$. I would much rather do the Dodge than this one. I really expected more out of the great GM.

Awaiting your thoughts. Thanks.

Hook_'em_Horns!
03-08-2008, 21:39
I have had a start /die problem on and off for a few weeks. In the midst of a 1400 mile trip I noticed a leak at the bottom of the fuel filter. I went to get a new filter in a blizzard to attempt to get home. Found a filter at a Auto Zone. Upon opening the box I see no valve at the bottom of the filter. I assumed that this is reused. I was told that this is a dealer only item.

Upon finally getting home, I thought I would do some research on "The Page". I read on here about unhooking the wires from that. I have no wires on mine. As many times as I was messing with it on this trip, I think I would have noticed some hanging there. Are there any filters made that don't reuse this piece of plastic crap? Are all the 01 trucks supposed to have this sensor lead?

I thought changing the fuel filters on my Dodge's was a pain in the a$$. I would much rather do the Dodge than this one. I really expected more out of the great GM.

Awaiting your thoughts. Thanks.

That would your 'Water in Fuel' sensor, and your drain valve at the bottom. If this 'Float Switch' was not installed, yeah I'd say you might have a bit of a leak there. :eek:

Just a small two conductor plug. Pull the passenger side battery (one bolt), for easy access, viewing and to change the filter. The pigtail is only 3-4 inches to the disconnect plug. Sight is blocked otherwise, and some find removing the air intake helps also but, I never have. Easy 15-20 minute job and the D-Max just luvs running on a NEW filter.:D
Let us know how it works out.

jbplock
03-09-2008, 05:34
... I have no wires on mine... Are there any filters made that don't reuse this piece of plastic crap? Are all the 01 trucks supposed to have this sensor lead? ...

All Duramax fuel filters that I'm aware of require a WIF (water in fuel) sensor on the bottom.. It's also not uncommon for the wires to break off where they enter the sensor. Chances are you'll find the harness dangling under the filter. The insulation on mine was cracked so I reinforced it with some JB-Weld .. Since they’re a dealer only item it's not a bad idea to keep a spare WIF on hand .. IIRC they cost about $40.

As far as changing the filter, there are a variety of methods as hook_em_horns pointed out. Personally I like to take my time, remove the fender liner and change from the wheel well .. there’s plenty of room to work this way but it does take longer (also replaced the plastic retainers with Riv-Nuts (http://www.hansonrivet.com/w65.htm)) Do a forum search for more info on the various methods folks here use for filter changes …

:)