PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 engine tick-what is it!!

Thor
03-06-2008, 18:12
I have a 89 6.2 diesel, with a recent new (used) engine out of a 85 blazer installed. Engine runs great, no smoke, starts great, etc.. I have a ticking noise coming from (I think) the right side valve cover. When I installed the engine I replaced all gaskets, so engine was tore down. If I attempt to remove the right side valve cover, what should I look for? Anything to adjust? Thanks

83Blzr62
03-06-2008, 18:35
This is kind of off topic, but is it on the passenger side or driver side? Right side could be either depending on how you look at it.

I have a ticking sound on my passenger side. I was told to check for exhaust leaks, bad injectors, bad lifters and the correct injection line routing. All that checked good on mine but the sound is still there. I got one of my heads shaved twice because of a gouge in it, so I am thinking now that maybe a valve is lightly touching a piston.

If you are sure it is a metal to metal ticking sound, you might want to check for a deflated lifter. If you push on a push rod they should be solid and not springy. If it is springy then odds are it is a bad lifter. Other than that, make sure there are no exhuast leaks and get your injectors tested.

Some ticks can be really hard to diagnose and fix.

Good luck,
Kyle

Thor
03-06-2008, 18:59
It is the passengers side, maybe I'll start with the injectors first.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2008, 20:23
Check your injector lines. If they are touching (or close to) ANYTHING other than the isolators, they can cause a loud tick. Make sure the lines are not touching each other, too.