PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Debate -- AtoA v. LtoA

JTodd
04-25-2004, 06:19
I would like to know the differing opinions regarding air-to-air intercoolers versus liquid-to-air intercoolers. Are there others issues besides plumbing? Is there more performance with one over the other? Is the drop in pressure about equal between the two? Does L-to-A offer more or less cooling, etc.? Also, for those that have installed the L-to-A, is there a cost advantage, or does it all come to about the same cost after all the ancillary parts (heat exchanger, pump, reservoir) are brought together?

patrick m.
04-25-2004, 06:37
liquid is a better conductor of heat than air is. so the water-to-air cooler can work better.
the "cons" are of course plumbing and having to re-fill.
The air-to-air cooler does well enough to keep temps in check and you dont have to re-fill.

Its all about the owner/operator ;)

JTodd
04-25-2004, 06:44
Refill? LtoA are not closed systems?

Kollin Syverson
04-25-2004, 09:08
yes, liquid to air is a closed system. I think he was referring to water mist injection, but as far as answering your question, I do not know either which one is best. I would think the air to air would be better.

gmctd
04-25-2004, 09:22
The denser medium, water, can quickly remove the heat of compression from the lighter medium, air.

But, how quickly can the lighter medium, ambient air, remove the heat of compression from the heavier medium, water, on the other end?

It works, but with the added complexity of coolant plumbing, pump, fan motor, wiring, two heat exchangers, etc. Maintaining coolant ph for corrosion prevention.

Most folks choose the air-to-air route.

Dvldog 8793
04-25-2004, 18:21
Howdy
I'm in the process of building a Liquide IC. I choose it because of the location and size factor. I didn't like the idea of having my IC down next to the road and salt and misc dropped tools/junk. It will be a little more complex as far as the plumbing goes but less complex as far the air duct goes. I think it easier to plumb 1" hose rather than 3" mandrel bent duct. ;)
Time will tell, after I get the systme done I might be singing a different tune. :D
L8r
Conley

gmctd
04-25-2004, 19:20
Once you've decided to get thru the complexity, you'll like it.
Big advantage is cool air off-idle and in all traffic conditions. Engine is more responsive.

Installation complexity and maintenance, including engine maintenance, are the cons.