PDA

View Full Version : 1994 6.5L truck oil pan

Rafedial1
03-01-2008, 22:27
Looking for the GM part number of the 6.5L TD truck oil pan.

Also, what is the best way to seal the block-to-pan surface? I have tried OEM specific black gasket sealer and gasket, but still had oil leaks out of the pan. Anything to do with a bad CDR valve and crankcase pressure?

Hubert
03-02-2008, 05:24
Yes a stuck shut CDR would allow crankcase pressure to build and increase oil leakages at oilpan, rear seal, and dipstick tube etc etc.

A quickie crude test is to at idle put a plastic bad loosely over fill spout ( but tightly sealed and hold it so it doesn't get away from you) and see if it drawn in or balloons out to see if you have crankcase pressure or vacum (should always be a little vaccum). This doesn't check if its the proper amount. There is a water test where you hook a clear hose to dipstick and check water height in a loop should only ever be so much water height difference. I think heath's blog talks about it.

As you probably already know on oil pan I suggest a good quality gasket and The Right Stuff. Put it on uniformly and then try and tighten the oil pan up a little at the time all the way around avoid cranking down on any one bolt so it doesn't deform the pan. Also put a new O-ring in the dipstick tube. I have gone back and renipped oil pan bolts and stopped a little seepage too again a little at the time.

Rafedial1
03-02-2008, 12:51
Thanks for the response Hubert.

Still looking for the GM part number for the 6.5L truck oil pan.

More Power
03-03-2008, 11:15
talk to the folks at http://www.peninsularengine.com for a like-new take-off 6.5 oil pan. My guess it'll be a good deal, compared to new. They replace the OE oil pans for their marine engines.

Jim

Rafedial1
03-03-2008, 20:51
Thanks for the response Jim.

I will give them a call tomorrow.