PDA

View Full Version : Clunking on low speed turns

grizant
02-29-2008, 11:28
Howdy,

The truck is a 2004 4X4 Duramax 2500 GMC SWB. I hear a clunking sounds that is getting worse by the day when I make slow left or right turns. When I turn right, the clunk comes from under the left side floor board, and when I turn left, the clunk comes from under the right side floor board. Sounds like the thing is about to come apart. Also, this truck rides like a dump truck. I think the torsion bars may be jacked up a little. Is there a way to loosen them and still get a ride height to allow the 285/75/16 tires that are on here but to have a factory like ride? I have a few duramaxs in my fleet of work trucks, and they do not ride this poorly.

grizant
02-29-2008, 12:36
Some more info: Two dealerships say they think it might be a steering shaft or a crossmember issue. Anyone know how to tell the difference in the sounds? These are over the phone diagnosis.

worley70
02-29-2008, 17:33
Hey Grizant,
I dont believe its a steering shaft problem, have you looked at the swaybar links or the front hubs yet. I have replaced several hubs for the same noise you are describing

grizant
03-02-2008, 21:43
How do I check the front hubs? I suppose I could check the sway bar links by just pulling on them to see if they are loose?

worley70
03-03-2008, 12:18
Hey Grizant, jack up the front end under the lower control arms and try to move the tire and wheel assembly up and down, if there is any movement i personally would replace the hubs.