PDA

View Full Version : ECM update for '05 LLY

brs954
02-27-2008, 11:59
Does anyone know what the most recent version/update for an '05 LLY ECM would be?

I took my truck to the dealer because of a tie-rod issue and asked them to re-flash the ECM and they wouldn't, I asked them because a diesel mechanic told me to due to my poor fuel mileage, 15-16 mpg all the time. I checked and the truck has never been updated since it was manufactured 11/2004, at least from GM.

Thanks,

Bryan

Mark Rinker
02-27-2008, 16:14
Welcome aboard!

My first DMax was a new 2005 LLY. The mileage was similar. I have had much better luck with the three LB7s I've owned since. The '06 LLY I currently own is even worse - consuming a staggering 30% more fuel, doing essentially the same work as my '02...

The general concensus is the LLY's reduction in mileage is due to EGR, catalytic converter, and variable vane turbo changes. There were also some models that reportedly had intake issues that were later corrected with a new design intake and air filter for '06.

You might look to the aftermarket for better programming leading to better mileage - i.e. EGR block off plates, intakes, free flowing exhaust, etc. I don't know of any updates from GM that have made much difference in this department.

Good luck!