PDA

View Full Version : SCAN TOOL

Scooby
04-24-2004, 09:10
What is the best scan tool to buy for personal use, and where is the best place to buy ??? Any advice would be helpful. I have an old monitor 2000 with cartridges till 1989. Now all my vehicles are newer or not fuel injected.

T.RAY
04-26-2004, 10:28
I use AutoTap. It's on my laptop so I can read the DTC's and other data from inside the truck.Autotap (http://www.autotap.com)

AndyL
04-26-2004, 11:23
T.RAY

can you read the enhanced parameters?

Stuff like

Fuel rate
IP Timing
TDC Offset
etc

Whitpirate
04-26-2004, 12:52
Interested in the software for the laptop and the cabling requirements. Got a good vendor?

Scooby
04-27-2004, 03:55
I want to be able to set TDC offset and read all the parameters. I dont think the adapters that hook up to laptops, or palm pilots will do all that.

LanduytG
04-27-2004, 07:11
Tech II very pricey but well worth it.

TurboDiverArt
04-27-2004, 09:55
Don't mean to hijack. What's the cheapest way to just read codes, nearest Auto Zone is about 45 minutes? I

MJEasly
04-27-2004, 10:56
The cheapest way is to go to Autozone and rent (for free) their code reader. IIRC, it is an Actron unit that only reads codes and retails for about 150. Just plug it in and read away.

http://www.actron.com/cp9135.jpg

Edit: It also erases codes.

[ 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: MJEasly ]

Scooby
04-27-2004, 11:59
ART-- My truck was turning on the SES light too. Since I have hooked up my boost gage, I believe if I did check the codes, I would get a low boost code. I found occasionally boost disappears, usually on the highway. It will jump up, then go to zero. A while later, everything is normal again. I suspect solenoid, but I am installing a TurboMaster as soon as it gets here, so I'm not worried about it. Also, see my post about no boost with cruise control on. I also got SES with cruise on at times. I think boost is my issue.

Randee of the Redwoods
04-27-2004, 15:11
Cheapest way to check codes? Stick a paperclip in the upper right 2 holes on the obd connector. Watch the flashes of the ses light. Info is on JK's site.

AndyL
04-27-2004, 15:14
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods:
Cheapest way to check codes? Stick a paperclip in the upper right 2 holes on the obd connector. Watch the flashes of the ses light. Info is on JK's site. NO, don't do that! Your 96 is OBDII and doens't offer that option!

TurboDiverArt
05-03-2004, 02:59
Originally posted by AndyL:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods:
Cheapest way to check codes? Stick a paperclip in the upper right 2 holes on the obd connector. Watch the flashes of the ses light. Info is on JK's site. NO, don't do that! Your 96 is OBDII and doens't offer that option! </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, my 99 doesn't do that either. Knew that one but thanks for making sure I wouldn't short something out.

TurboDiverArt
05-03-2004, 03:01
Originally posted by Scooby:
ART-- My truck was turning on the SES light too. Since I have hooked up my boost gage, I believe if I did check the codes, I would get a low boost code. I found occasionally boost disappears, usually on the highway. It will jump up, then go to zero. A while later, everything is normal again. I suspect solenoid, but I am installing a TurboMaster as soon as it gets here, so I'm not worried about it. Also, see my post about no boost with cruise control on. I also got SES with cruise on at times. I think boost is my issue. I'm thinking you are correct. I found a leaking vacuum line at the wastegate. I'm thinking that my SES light is either low vacuum or low boost. My SES light went out again after I fixed the vacuum leak.

Art.

bigmikestud
05-03-2004, 06:33
I recently purchased, used and then sold the Actron unit pictured in the reply from above. Its a good unit but I decided to upgrade to their better model since I also have a Ford-enough said. My opinion, these 6.5's need so much attention that this tool should be a part of your toolbox.

Since I'm in the automotive equipment (lifts, alignment, etc.)business, I ask my customers about these issues alot. Everyone loves Auto Zone because it brings in so many po'd people. Just because you found a code doesn't mean you're on easy street and thats why so many customers get mad. They don't understand you still have to isolate these problems before you throw parts at it. My code reader was a great investment but having manuals and this site are great helpers.

Phil Holmen
05-03-2004, 15:48
I see Autotap is only for OBDII is there anything worth having to read PCM info for OBDI that is for a laptop or pc??

Scooby
05-03-2004, 16:57
From what I can find, Tech II is the only one that can be used to set timing as well as read codes. Does anyone know the best (most reasonable!!) place to buy a Tech II ???

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2004, 17:06
Ebay. Where else?

eracers999
05-04-2004, 04:34
Scooby;
I can give you a ph number to a contact i met on ebay. If you are going to buy a tech 2 you should really talk to this guy. I can ashure you will be miles ahead in money and tech.

e mail me

Kent

DennisG01
05-04-2004, 06:46
What do you guys think about the Drive Right CARCHIP? It looks like it does everything the Techtron does, and a few more things as well. I believe it still only gives generic info/codes, but it sells for about $120/$130 at Autozone. Maybe some of you that have more experience with this matter can comment?

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/drive_product.asp?pnum=8210

Scooby
05-05-2004, 02:38
KENT --- What is your email ??? I couldnt find it in your profile, or signature lines. Mine is in my signature line.