PDA

View Full Version : best way to disable the EGR

N9Phil
02-26-2008, 17:36
What is the best way to disable the EGR on a 95 6.5 TD engine. I believe that I still need the vacuum for the heater/air controls. Since I need to pull the intake to remove the carbon build up and I understand that the intake gasket for a non EGR doesn't have an opening for the EGR, is it possible to just replace the gasket with a non EGR one and solve the problem? After doing a search on the subject I read where one person just removed the EGR, leaving the wires attached so as not to get an service engine soon light, and then he put a plate over the hole. I don't know the configuration of the EGR so I don't know if this is possible. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
Phil

TAG
02-26-2008, 18:06
Back in the day i just pulled the vacuum hose from the valve & plugged it with a bolt. The obd 1 system is only looking for vacuum in the line - it doesnt monitor whether the valve is actually working so it wont set a code. Ran it that way for several years with no issues till I converted to hd setup.

Kennedy
02-26-2008, 20:21
The best way is to shut it off as close to the source as possible. This would be at the ports in the head. Otherwise you will have exhaust heat in the crossover in the intake manifold.

mrwilecoyote
02-27-2008, 10:40
I have heard of people using a brass freeze plug in the hole under the upper intake. Also can benifit by removing some of the unnessicary webbing for increased air flow. The Vac pump/system is soley for EGR and Turbo waste gate. Does not control heater/AC on these trucks. Best way is what I'm in the process of doing. F intake(Non egr) Manual waste gate controller , remove Vac pump and put shorter belt on and a boost guage. You would be surprised how much the vac operated waste gate lacks boost under heavy loads. 93s have a manual waste gate I think that can be modded to fit a 94+. Or you can make one out of a spring and some threaded rod. I have never pulled my upper on my 95 I'm going to like I said toss the whole manifold but there is a round mystery gasket in there that must be reinstalled if you decide to plug the existing manifold.

N9Phil
02-27-2008, 16:10
JK said:
The best way is to shut it off as close to the source as possible. This would be at the ports in the head. Otherwise you will have exhaust heat in the crossover in the intake manifold

John, does this mean that I need to use a non EGR intake?

Phil

mrwilecoyote
02-28-2008, 06:02
JK said:
The best way is to shut it off as close to the source as possible. This would be at the ports in the head. Otherwise you will have exhaust heat in the crossover in the intake manifold

John, does this mean that I need to use a non EGR intake?

Phil
You don't have to but it's the best way. Good luck finding one. I paid 250$$ for mine on Fleabay