PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat recomendations 180

MTTwister
08-18-2004, 12:55
Thanks to the Rendevous and the Diesel Depot's generous sponsorship, I'm getting the '97 cooling upgrade for the '96. This comes with the 180

Billman
08-18-2004, 14:05
I vote for the 195's.

With a properly functioning cooling system, overheating should not be a concern and the engine will run more efficiently.

Mileage may go up a bit.

rjschoolcraft
08-18-2004, 16:54
I thought that too, until towing to the Rendezvous and back. I put 180's in as soon as I got home. I didn't overheat, but I ran hot. Around the midwest, the 195's worked great, but it is a lot tougher problem out West. On Sunday on the way home through Montana, Wyoming and western South Dakota, the fan was engaged the whole day and I ran right up to the point that the Check Gages light would come on. I think the 180's would have worked better there.

LanduytG
08-18-2004, 18:02
I ran 180 for a long time in my 95 and a few years ago I changed them back to 195 and it runs better. So 2 years ago I put in 205 and thats what is going to stay in it. I have pulled with that truck all over the US and never have had any trouble with heat. Yes it will run 210-220 but it runs well right their. As far as 180 because you are running hot it will not matter at all. If its going to run hot it will do it with what ever you put in it. If you are running 210 the 180 is not going to drop it. To drop the temp you need more air across the rad. I did put Evan's in mine last year when I had the new motor in and now if it gets hot I won't worry about it because it will still be protected. The hotter you can run a diesel the more power you will make. I remember a few years ago it was thought that lost power when it gets hot. My dad was a diesel mechanc for almost 50 years and he always said the hotter the better. I wish I would have listen to him and I would have never put in the 180. Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg

rjschoolcraft
08-18-2004, 18:13
Hmm...

The computer pulls fuel if the coolant temp gets too hot...

Seems that the DP's recommendations (More Power's) are to use 180's as well. See this article. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/65cooltipsc.htm) The logic in the article makes sense, especially in light of my most recent experience.

Kennedy
08-19-2004, 06:46
Originally posted by LanduytG:
I ran 180 for a long time in my 95 and a few years ago I changed them back to 195 and it runs better. So 2 years ago I put in 205 and thats what is going to stay in it. I have pulled with that truck all over the US and never have had any trouble with heat. Yes it will run 210-220 but it runs well right their. As far as 180 because you are running hot it will not matter at all. If its going to run hot it will do it with what ever you put in it. If you are running 210 the 180 is not going to drop it. To drop the temp you need more air across the rad. I did put Evan's in mine last year when I had the new motor in and now if it gets hot I won't worry about it because it will still be protected. The hotter you can run a diesel the more power you will make. I remember a few years ago it was thought that lost power when it gets hot. My dad was a diesel mechanc for almost 50 years and he always said the hotter the better. I wish I would have listen to him and I would have never put in the 180. Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg I agree.

My 6.5 actually has a Stant Super stat (conventional style 195

Gapper_ca
08-19-2004, 06:52
I believe that i have 195's in mine. OEM?
my ? is how can you tell if your fan is engaged fully or not. i have noticed from time to time when it is 80+ out and running a/c over the gravel roads that i will begin to run hot. does not matter if i am empty or hauling something. shut off a/c then the temps will come back down somewhat. also i seem to lose power. boost will not go above 8 or 9. usually when temp is 195 i can spike the boost to 15 then it will settle back at 10 or so.

moondoggie
08-19-2004, 08:49
Good Day!

"my ? is how can you tell if your fan is engaged fully or not." Easy - you have to turn the radio up. Unless your hearing is not real good, it makes an unmistakable roar.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Marty Lau
08-19-2004, 10:10
Greg;
Are your running the Evans coolant in your 6.5TD?

MTTwister
08-19-2004, 11:30
16ga sxs - Doesn't Evian get kinda spendy on a per bottle basis? :D

Ok What's Evan - (an additive) ?

BuffaloGuy
08-19-2004, 11:36
I did the 180's and then switched to the 195's. The truck runs better with the hotter stats. It did seem that the 180's let the fan clutch kick in sooner when pulling but I didn't really notice any diffence in coolant temp. I tend to agree with the hotter is better school.
Ken

LanduytG
08-19-2004, 16:25
Yes I am using the Evan's in the 6.5. I will be putting it in the LLY soon. The Evan's really works well in the 6.5 with the cooling mods. When running Evan's if you do get hot at least the block and heads are getting cooled the best they can. Evan's does not boil till 375* so you will always have liquid on the surfaces, unlike regular anti-freeze which will boil and cause hot spots do to vapor not cooling as well.

I think some might think a cooler stat will let the motor run cooler. Well it will if your not pulling anything but if you are on a pull the coolant temp is going to go past any stat. If its running 210 a 180 stat will not help a bit.

The warmer you can get the motor the better and more complete the combustion will be. Which means more power. Everything that has been discussed about heat robbing power IMHO is wrong, at least in a diesel. Now I feel a gas motor is different.

I told my dad a couple of years ago when I was playing around with the different stats that he was right. I almost had to piuck him up off the floor. The old timers do know a thing or two.

computer monkey
08-19-2004, 19:01
I have 190's from Napa. Very happy with them.

Barry Nave
08-20-2004, 02:15
Hotter has better burn, OK so if I take out the 180* and up to 195* will I see less smoke under power?
In my truck this would be :cool:

LanduytG
08-20-2004, 06:47
Hotter has better burn, OK so if I take out the 180* and up to 195* will I see less smoke under power?
In my truck this would be [Cool]
Would depend on how over fueled you are. I could lessen the smoke but I doubt that it will get rid of it.

Greg

Marty Lau
08-20-2004, 09:20
Originally posted by MTTwister:
16ga sxs - Doesn't Evian get kinda spendy on a per bottle basis? :D

Ok What's Evan - (an additive) ? It's a permante anti-freeze that Greg markets and I have looked into it a bit and it looks very interesting. I was think of going the route Greg says he has with the higher Stat's and the Evans like he said boiling point is like 375 so boil over is not going to happen. And I was thinking if one of the Chip guys could do away with 260 degree shut down I would never have another temp shut down and not have a boil over either. I think the stuff is like $25 gallon which is bit more than what we pay for Dexacool but it has some very nice operating charteristics and never need replacing.

Tough Guy
08-20-2004, 16:20
I have found in the last 100,000 miles or so with the RS 180 T-stats, that by having a stat that opens FULLY at 205F my fan engages and the temp doesn't continue to climb much at all.

This is not empty, not at low altitudes, not driving like a little old lady.

This is driving hard with 5-10K of trailer behind me crawling up 6%+ grades with winding curves keeping speed at or below 25mph with the T/C unlocked for miles....From my experience the 195F's couldn't deliver. I have seen cylinder heads that went beyond recomended temps, gaskets fail and iron cracks.

Now obviously, IF you're running evans coolant or live on the flats or don't tow often/heavy then by all means the 195F's fit the bill for you.

My fuel mileage has been as good or better with the 180F's....My point is there are those out there that require more than 195F stats offer, and I am very pleased with 180F stats and Dexcool. With just over 150,000 miles on the project truck it still pulls as well as my Power Stroke. (pre-Superchips of course) :D

Cheers

LanduytG
08-20-2004, 17:02
Chris
I have had plenty of experience with mountain driving in my 6.5 pulling my 5th wheel. I have never had a problem over heating NEVER. As far as economy goes switch back to 195 in the winter and I know you will see a difference.

When getting things hot enough that the heads can't take it is because that dexcool is boiling and the vapoer does not transfer the heat as well as a coolant that stays in contact with the metal surface.

I really can't beleive you bought Ford. You must of got it cheap ;)

Greg