PDA

View Full Version : Problems with accelerator pedal, tps or what??

caddy
02-24-2008, 13:56
I´ve got 1995 6.5 turbo diesel GMC Suburban. 230000 driven. I´ve owned this wehicle for two months soon.
Stange troubles appeared after driving few hundred miles. (Means I´ve driven few hundred miles with that now) Tranny or engine does not work as it should. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif When driving ~50mph the tranny can´t decide which gear to use.. lock on and off.. And wehicle moves really sticky, does not matter if it´s cold or warm. When starting to move sometimes truck does not react to accelerator pedal and sometimes it works fine. Is this kinda solenoid or sensor problem or what? There is only one trouble code, 36 (injection pulse width error(time long)). Does it relate to this problem? PMD/FSD is new and remote mounted. Fuel, oil and air filters are new and motor oil and trans fluid of course. Oil level is allright.
I had 1994 6.5 ext.cab before and it moved much slicky with no this kinda problems ever.
Any ideas?? :confused:

xtrempickup
02-25-2008, 16:56
anybody have any thoughts for the man? i brought him over here from the GM trucks board as this is more geared for diesels. i told him there what i thought. anybody that might shed some ideas on his problem

Hubert
02-26-2008, 02:00
Well at that age all bets are off on a definative diagnosis over the net. Usually the TPS will throw its own service throttle soon MIL or service light probably not the issue if not lit.

Could be connectivity issues with batteries and grounds always the 2nd thing to check after fuel filter. More probable IP old age and its having problems with fuel solenoid and precise fuel metering. I believe once hard codes are set the PCM might do funky things under combinations events. Could be multiple issues.

The FSD connectivity and mounting are sensitive could double check those areas. Is heat sink big enough, grounded, good extension ??? Where and exactly how is it remote mounted and for how long has it been remote?

Robyn
02-26-2008, 08:03
Yes Yes

Check and or replace all the battery cables. Check the grounds at the rear of the RH head.

Check the plug connector on the tranny. Unplug and spray with contact cleaner and resinstall.

If the 36 is the only code showing this will in and of iteself not explain other driveability issues.

Be sure you are getting a good solid 14+ volts dc at the power relay box on the LH side of the truck.

Poor grounds and or poor voltage can and will make these things do all sorts of wierd crap.

The ground cables (Battery) as well as the Plus + cables can and do get badly corroded in the jackets around the side terminal ends.
Also the ends that bolt to the engine up top can also go way inside.

Also be sure your alternator is working properly. An alternator that has issues can and will cause problems.

Get this stuff checked and you may find that all the issues go away.

Keep us posted

Robyn

rameye
02-26-2008, 13:50
I had a code 36 in my 95...made it run like crap under load. Main solenoid in the injection pump was lazy...progressively got worse....new pump was the fix. lack of power wreaked havoc with the tranny...

Do the EZ/cheap stuff first as advised!

caddy
02-26-2008, 14:45
I had a code 36 in my 95...made it run like crap under load. Main solenoid in the injection pump was lazy...progressively got worse....new pump was the fix. lack of power wreaked havoc with the tranny...

Do the EZ/cheap stuff first as advised!

Thanks for replys, You and the others!

What does EZ mean?
(my english is not so good, cause I´m from Finland.. ) :rolleyes:

xtrempickup
02-26-2008, 15:13
EZ= easy. Don't worry about it buddy

caddy
02-26-2008, 15:54
Of course..
Thank a lot again!! :)

Kennedy
02-26-2008, 20:36
A defective ignition switch can often be traced to transmission shift issues. The APP module seldom if ever fails and if it does it will set codes.