PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On 6.2, Won't Start After Replacing Injector Pump

Texas Mudfest
02-24-2008, 08:14
I have a 6.2 in a 1 ton 4x4 pick up. The truck has a banks turbo on it. The truck has always ran like a dream. Its a real low mileage truck. The injector pump leaked some diesel out of it when cold so I took it and had it overhauled. The truck has not ran since. Did I get a bad pump or do something wrong? I even took the water pump off to check all timing marks. I got it to start once and had little to no throttle responce and it smoked white smoke so bad that I could not see. Please help.

Rytari
02-24-2008, 10:41
if you are sure you had manage to get all air out of the system, you (might) have same thing that i got with my last reman pump, wrongly adjusted timing, in my pump, the pumps internal pressure been adjusted incorrectly and timing is waaayy too late to get truck runing at all...

john8662
02-25-2008, 11:01
If only the pump has been removed and re-installed you shouldn't run into this issue.

Check to verify that your timing marks on the front timing cover are lined up, or perhaps a little to the right (drivers side) of the mark on the timing cover. I'm sure you've looked at this if you've gone to the trouble of removing the water pump backing plate from the timing cover to verify that the timing dots on the gears are aligned though.

I had a pump that did this very thing once, and it was caused by a little spring that has gotten hung in the governor assembly linkage in the top of the pump. This was due to my error in adjusting and messing with the governor inside the pump. I'd recommend taking the pump off and back to the injection shop that did the work in the form of a warranty repair.

Doesn't sound right to me.

lowstature
02-25-2008, 17:29
The pump has the timing at the gear and there is a small tick mark at the base of the pump where it mounts to the block. Loosen the blots slightly and slide the pump a little to the left or right to make sure the tick is top dead center, if it is off just a little, it will not start.

Also, as someone else mentioned... air in the system takes forever to work it's way thru... check the rubber lines and steel lines at the injectors and see if fuel is circulating its way thru the system... that will help you determine if it is an air or a fuel problem.

Good luck

Subzilla
02-26-2008, 09:16
Crack open the injectors at the lines and turn the engine over till you see fuel weeping. This will tell you that most of the air is out of the lines and there is fuel at the injectors. Tighten down the line fittings and crank away.