PDA

View Full Version : Getting the dern Iginition swith off column, help!

john8662
04-23-2004, 17:10
OK, I have had all the parts to replace the dern ignition switch on the 95 K2500 burb. My problem is I need to get the top plastic cover off the steering column. What is holding it on is the key switch plastic part (the part you physically turn when turning the switch. I need to get off the plastic part.

Here is what I have done, removed lower plastic over, tilt lever, removed the two E5 screws that hold the upper cover on and then lower E4 screw that hold the igintion switch in place. The problem is I can't get the top screw loose. There isn't enough room to get the socket and my extension in there to get at it. So, I conclude that I need to remove the upper plastic cover to get to it.

Please help, otherwise I will have to take it to a stealer, and I simply don't have the $.

I have searched and read the right articles on the pages here in the forum, but I just can't find a good way to do it. Seems like it should be a simple thing, but it isn't
Thanks for your help!!!

diesel65
04-23-2004, 17:28
You need to remove the lock cylinder to get the top cover off.
In order to get the lock cylnder out you have to find a little hole that is in the aluminum housing,(this is the fun part) under the top cover.
Once you find the small hole, using a right angle pick, first rotate ignition key to crank position (helps if the batteries are disconnected) and hold, then probe hole with pick to depress a tab, as you are pressing the tab down pull the lock cylinder out.

john8662
04-23-2004, 17:47
William,

THANK YOU!!

I got it out, I took out the guage cluster, then I wiggled the top plastic to one side so it would pop out of underneath the steering wheel. This gave me the room to see the little hole. Then I took a piece of 12 guage solid copper wire and bent a section over to make a pic. Then did just as you said, turned the key to start, it clicked a little, then turned the key back and pulled out, VICTORY!! Now I can proceed with the rest of my R&R. Thanks a bunch for your help!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

John

patrick m.
04-24-2004, 14:18
what would we do without our DP pals? ;)

tom.mcinerney
01-08-2005, 06:11
Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel in order to swap the ignition lock cylinder??
Or more like the items John mentions above?

diesel65
01-08-2005, 09:37
It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel to pop out the lock cylinder, but if you never done it before it might make it a lot easier for you to look under the upper cover to find the release hole.