PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump; Deja Vu all over again!

Black95TD
02-21-2008, 15:47
Any advice on this would be appreciated. I used to have a 95 6.5 and replacing injection pumps under the extended warrenty was routine. Yesterday I was driving along in my 05 DMAX with 36.5K miles (Does someone at GM have a secret switch?) and it just turned off and would not restart. I was going about 40 mph and with no prior symptoms it just shut down. It's at the dealer now and they say it needs a new injection pump. It must be electrical because there was no indication of any problem. It has a new fuel filter and I have always run premium deisel from a known and highly reputable fuel dealer. I always add Stanadyne Lubricity Formula as a precaution on lubrication. I searched the threads and of course came up with hundreds of 6.5 threads but little on DMAX.

Any input would be appreciated!

Duramaster
02-21-2008, 20:01
The only reason that I can think of for the pump replacement is that the softplugs BLEW out of the pump itself. And if that happened, then the current proper repair as per GM TAC is to Flush the entire fuel system and replace the pump, ALL injectors and the fuel rails. Double check with you dealer and find out what exactly happened. If the pump detonated, it has now filled the fuel system with fine metal particles that will cause nothing but problems in the very near future. Trust me, this comes from very hard learned experience at a dealership level! I tried to locate a bulletin for this but I found nothing. You might have your dealer check w/ GM TAC. Especially if this a catastrophic failure. ;)

Black95TD
02-23-2008, 11:57
Duramaster - Thanks for the input! I certainly will check on this tomorrow AM, in person so I can talk with the tech directly.

Anyone elso out there have to replace an injection pump?

Dakster
02-23-2008, 12:13
I was waiting for someone to say..... Onstar has the secret switch. The kill IP and injectors via Satellite.

Onstars internal slogan: Boosting GM's bottom line from the Sky...

Just kidding. Although it sometimes feels that way.